Recirculating/plumb back valve: which is bestest?

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
Hey guys,

Does anyone recommend a recirculating/plumb back valve? I had a SARD R2D2 BOV but decided that I wanted the power to be as incognito as possible unless I am leaving them by many car lengths. Also, I've been told since my JDM 2JZ lacks the door flapper, I can run whatever and my A/R won't rich spike.

Please let me know if I am headed in the right direction here as well.

Cheers,

Jago

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
DOH!! should have known that it would be expensive i.e. turbosmart. At least the quality is the reason they are what they are. Thanks IJ. Anyone else gotta recommendation?

Hey!! I am allowed to butcher the English Language, k! . .. :D

So am I on the right track with the full plumb back or will I end up with some much flutter that I will be buying a turbo in 6 months.

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
Recirculating a BOV doesn't have anything to do with compressor surge which is the "flutter" I'm assuming you're talking about, since you mention it killing turbo's.

But on that note, and since IJ has chimed into this thread, I'd like to get his opinion on compressor surge killing turbo's. I'm a turbo Buick guy, and when I had my T-type I never had BOV, or any kind of bypass valve on it. And most, I would say 80-90% of those guys don't run one either, I know the main reason is they are all autos, but is running a BOV really that necessary?

Jacob

the overkillist
Feb 11, 2007
East Coast USA
Hey i am interested to know if these expensive bypass valves are even necessary either.

Thanks for the input on the compressor surge/flutter.

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
starscream5000 said:
How long do the turbos on them typically last for?

I never had any problems with the turbo on my car but I only had the car 6 months or so...ran into bad luck. The turbo had been on the car around a year, and had no shaftplay when I checked it.

Also from what I've heard from the few guys I've brought it up with, they tell me they have never killed a turbo not having one. I know the fact that they are autos has to play a big part in it.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Turbo Diesels dont run bypass valves....Then again they dont have throttle plates that close and create surge.
If your turbo car came from the factory with a bypass valve, what would make you think you dont need one? Im sure Toyota just wanted to spend a little extra money adding a bypass valve/tubing to every turbo car just for the hell of it. Ive seen a few guys that were too cheap to put a BOV on their turbo car and the turbos only lasted a few months if that..In other words.. id say you need a bypass/BOV.

fstlane88

Single time!!
Apr 5, 2005
South FL
What I really want to find out, and I guess I will have to venture away from the forums to find out, how bad compressor surge really is. And if it does, how badly it is variates on different engines and turbos. May seem meaningless but I'm itching to learn something, and I been wondering about it for a while now.

Things I have noticed on the pro/sanctioned forced induction drag cars that I've been around, cars running 90mm, 100mm+ turbo setups is that only some not all were using some sort of bypass/BOV, sometimes two. But from my understanding since most of those classes are tire limited, they don't run much boost, to keep from spinning the tires all the way down the track, which some still do. Does that have any effect, does it increase the negative effect on the turbo as boost increases, logic says it should.

So automatic drag cars, purpose built, get pulled to the lanes and pulled back to the pits, only have be running and under full power for 6 or 7 seconds, some have them some don't I just wonder why.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Because they have the money to replace broken parts frequently :rolleyes:

No BOV means lots less turbo lag when closing the throttle plate and reopening again, at the expense of the turbo that is....

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
RedEj8 said:
Ive seen a few guys that were too cheap to put a BOV on their turbo car and the turbos only lasted a few months if that..In other words.. id say you need a bypass/BOV.

Buick. Grand. National.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
FL88: I don't have a whole lot of experience on the BoV question as they were only starting to be used the last time I was into Turbo motors before my accident enforced break away from cars.

During the time I've been back I've yet to see any actual evidence of a Turbo failure caused by no BoV but LOTS of "My brothers cousins next door neighbours friend had it happen" sort of anecdotal reports.

If the Turbo is getting a good Oil supply I can't see it hurting bearings and modern Turbo's have quite large shafts that are carefully designed without the "cut along dotted lines" sharp edges/undercuts that many early units had and were/are a point of failure.

Having said all that since fitting the Hi Stall Converter my 3540r is surging like a very surging thing if I lift from full boost even with 2 x TurboSmart type3's so I'll investigate this (It's fine at part throttle pulls/lifts)

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
starscream5000 said:
Because they have the money to replace broken parts frequently :rolleyes:
lol probably true..
In this picture you can see there is a wastegate as the BOV. I was informed that its not really used as a bov but as some kind of pop off valve. I guess for an overboost situation or something like that.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I know the Synapse Synchronic BOVs and Wastegates are supossed to be the shit.
http://www.synapseengineering.com/?gclid=CJ6ioc2tmY4CFQVjHgodyFw9RA

Last edited: