recently did HG, now possible BHG

casing

Jun 15, 2006
ottwa
I just did the headgasket less then 100 KM's ago.. Last night a huge coolant blast came from somewhere and soaked the intake side of my engine and its blowing huge white clouds from exhuast, the coolant res is bubbling like hell and the engine is running a bit rough. Seeing as it was only done around 100 km's ago should I try retoqring the headbolts? or just tear it all down again?

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Make sure it is a BHG before you tearing into it. I agree the symtoms are pointing there. Napa part #700-1006 is one of the best tools for diagnosing a BHG. Can also inspect plugs and perform compression test but those arent as conclusive. Best of luck either way.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
it certainly sounds like a BHG but ya never know. Leak down test and compression tests are great, leak down test more so as it's specifically designed for BHG diagnosing whereas the compression test doesn't really come up with a useable result a lot of times.

If it its a BHG it may be an easy fix once you get into the engine, if you recently did the job it may not have been done correctly, or may not have sealed properly, or it may have been a defective HG, Good Luck with it, those are the worst thing short of a piston melting or a rod dropping threw your oil pan IMHO because they cost almost as much as a rebuild in some cases. Good luck man.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
If coolant is getting into the intake system like through your turbo or into the IC piping or intake it could do the same thing but I doubt it since its steady, I'd say 99.9% it's a BHG but I am not there so I don't know how good a job you did on the HG and I can't see your car running, I'd guess BHG obviously.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
First, check the coolant lines that run to the TB and ISC valve. Might want to check the inside of both to make sure there is no coolant leak.

casing

Jun 15, 2006
ottwa
could a loose headbolt or retorqe fix the problem? or would it be way to late now that its burning like a mother fucker. The amount of bubbles going to my resivior is crazy. its like blowing bubbles thru a straw in milk.

casing

Jun 15, 2006
ottwa
I've got two of them and my running one is stock.. I think Im gonna have some fun before winter hits and throw the exhuast and intercooler piping on my stock one and worry about this one next year...

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
A lot of what's here. Do the easy things like JDub suggested first. You're going to have to give some more info as to what, how, and how much like everybody is asking.

casing

Jun 15, 2006
ottwa
jdub said:
First, check the coolant lines that run to the TB and ISC valve. Might want to check the inside of both to make sure there is no coolant leak.

sorry im somewhat new to abrivation.. lol and spelling

casing

Jun 15, 2006
ottwa
blackout_89t said:
What gasket was put on? What bolts? What torque value? What prep work was done before putting the gasket on?

This is what might be the problem as well.. The headgasket set I used was "evergreen". Arp Head bolts, 85 ft-lbs, sanded down the block as best as possible and cleaned up the head.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
TB = Throttle Body
ISC = Idle Speed Control

You sanded the block!!! Not good dude! :3d_frown:

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
jdub said:
You sanded the block!!! Not good dude! :3d_frown:

Actually, Toyota recommended that techs use 150-200 grit sandpaper on sanding blocks to prep engine blocks and heads when doing warranty head gasket repairs.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yeah...and unless you are very, very careful about using an even, circular pattern, you can create a low spot. The head is even easier for this to happen. Then you need to check the block and head for flatness. Otherwise you are asking for trouble.

I'd use a fine Scotch Brite pad and solvent, but never sandpaper. Too easy to screw it up...and you can get grit down the oil/coolant channels unless they are blocked off and cleaned before you install the head.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
I didnt say it was the greatest idea. Just what Toyota had advised to their techs. Actually it was in response to someone messing a head up with a 2" Roloc disc on a die grinder. Using the Scotch Brite or sandpaper both pose dangers unless proper precautions are followed.

casing

Jun 15, 2006
ottwa
actually, I only sanded using a few sheets. My brown car I sanded the fucking thing till it was a mirror finish and its been running great for the past 2 months (around 6000 Km's).

I will check those lines tonight. That could be sending coolant into my cylinders?
PS: does anyone have a pic of the exact line im looking for?

casing

Jun 15, 2006
ottwa
if one of those lines were to be broken or whatever, that would cause coolant to be sucked into the cylinders? and my resivior to be bubbling like a whure? if so just curious how

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
casing said:
if one of those lines were to be broken or whatever, that would cause coolant to be sucked into the cylinders? and my resivior to be bubbling like a whure? if so just curious how
Could if the TB was cracked, or there was a problem with the CSI, as that is the only lines that go to any intake related things. The line that goes from the CSI and returns back to the block under the intake manifold has a small copper ring on the intake gasket that might if leaking suck in some coolant.The bubbling in the resivior is a different story.