recently acquired built 7mgte, have questions

jeddyminit

Jul 20, 2009
San Diego 858
Hello everyone,

So I recently acquired a built 7mgte.
Has:
A larger turbo (not sure about the specs at the moment)
Adjustable cam sprockets/gears
Bigger injectors (not sure on the cc but they're definitely not stock)
I haven't pulled off the valve covers yet to see what the camshafts look like.

I have made a deal with a buddy of mine that I pick up this motor from him, which he has no background knowledge of the motor and i will perform a leak down test on it. If everything checks out okay, I will then pay him for the motor. (he acquired this from a running parts car)

My question is:
Would I be able to slap on a stock CT26 and stock cam sprockets,injectors and run the motor on a stock ecu with no problems?
What if the camshafts are aftermarket, would this affect the performance of the engine with stock turbo, stock injectors, stock cam sprockets?
any other tests that should be performed?

Before anyone bashes on me, I want to put out there that my reasoning for wanting to do this is to get my supra back up and running.
My supra has been registered on NON-OP and will need to be smoked.

Any help is appreciated.

7mgte.jpg

jeddyminit

Jul 20, 2009
San Diego 858
kakanator;2068703 said:
you got any up closes pics of the injectors? and I don't see why you cant run ct with cams and gears should run with stock ecu. As lone the ecu is yellow plug.

I'll snap a couple pics of the injectors when I get a chance.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Taking all that stuff off should allow the stock ECU to control the timing to acceptable limits if the cam isn't a full out race cam. Another option is to pick up a set of stock cams for piece of mind. They are all over the place these days.

jeddyminit

Jul 20, 2009
San Diego 858
Kckazdude;2068710 said:
Taking all that stuff off should allow the stock ECU to control the timing to acceptable limits if the cam isn't a full out race cam. Another option is to pick up a set of stock cams for piece of mind. They are all over the place these days.

Wouldn't I have to get the head machined for the camshafts though?
I would probably have to use some plastigage and measure the clearance though I assume?..

jeddyminit

Jul 20, 2009
San Diego 858
kakanator;2068782 said:
You would just try to find some stock cam that are not rapped with scores and gouges and yes plastigage all the caps most likely you will not need to machine them.

hmm.. I do have a pair of camshafts in my garage that i could just throw on.

jeddyminit

Jul 20, 2009
San Diego 858
I have been told the motor has oversized pistons, would i possibly run into any problems with that in terms of smogging the vehicle?

i haven't gotten the chance to perform a leak down test on the motor yet but are there any other tests you guys recommend me doing? (besides compression)

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Leak down test is more comprehensive if you have the tool. Oversize piston should not affect driveability

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

jeddyminit

Jul 20, 2009
San Diego 858
update: performed a cylinder leak down test on the motor.
Cylinders 1-4 have about a 5- 10% leak
Cylinders 5/6 have a 10-15% leak (does this seem normal?)

Any input on this?

Also, since the motor is on an engine stand the cylinder leak test was NOT done warm.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
That is within tolerance. Anything over the ~15% would be a problem. If it has been sitting not running for a while that could easily explain the higher numbers as well. Make sure the front and rear crank seals aren't leaking and drop it in. Should have a running car after next week.

jeddyminit

Jul 20, 2009
San Diego 858
Kckazdude;2068912 said:
That is within tolerance. Anything over the ~15% would be a problem. If it has been sitting not running for a while that could easily explain the higher numbers as well. Make sure the front and rear crank seals aren't leaking and drop it in. Should have a running car after next week.

Im going to open up the oil pan to redo the gasket job the previous owner did. would it be a good idea to re-torque anything on the bottom end?

jeddyminit

Jul 20, 2009
San Diego 858
UPDATE:
Motor looks to have ARP studs, would it be a good idea to do a re-torque on them?
I'll be replacing gaskets all over the motor due to a crappy rtv job.

for some reason, the oil dip stick was missing, so ill be opening up the oil pan just to double check.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
As someone that has bought an already built engine, my advice to you is to get EVERYTHING double checked.
Have the entire rotating assembly checked, all clearances and bolt/nut torques at the very least.

jeddyminit

Jul 20, 2009
San Diego 858
kotu100;2069047 said:
As someone that has bought an already built engine, my advice to you is to get EVERYTHING double checked.
Have the entire rotating assembly checked, all clearances and bolt/nut torques at the very least.

i am glad i took the time to crack open the oil pan, i found the thrust bearing at the bottom of the oil pan. any idea what would cause this? its been a while since i did a rebuild on the motor, what exactly would be my next step?