recalibrate stock oil press guage?

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
I know it can be done, JetJock commented on doing it but i dont think ive ever seen an explanation.

id like to sort mine out so its not so far off. i KNOW im not running with 0psi of hot oil pressure with 20w50 at idle. i also KNOW im not running -5psi w/ the key on and engine off.

so, how bout it? do i have to do something to my sending unit or do i have to pull my guage cluster apart and reposition the needle on the guage?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
You'll have to open the sender and either replace the span resistor inside with a new one or add a 10 turn pot in it's place. There's a separate mechanical zero in there too. Then you recal the sender with applied pressure and whatever standard you trust, say a good quality pressure gage or transducer. You can do it either on the bench or in the car. Normally I'd say not to mess with the adjustments on the gage itself but in your case you might be able to solve the zero problem that way.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
interesting to know. the span resistor you mention, would a radio shack carry that or is it more specialized than that and have to order it online or something...

im half tempted to hook up a mechanical gage from my local hydraulic shop to compare it against my readings from the stock gage.