Rebuilt motor, cranks over but not building oil pressure

kale

Aug 28, 2010
adelaide
Hey guys, just finished putting the 7m in and hooking everything up and I have gone to crank it over to build oil pressure and nothing is coming up on my dash gauge, I don't have a normal Gauge to hook up so I was relying on the dash to tell me, does anyone know where I should start looking because I don't have much knowledge as this is my first build. I was really looking forward to starting it today so if anyone can help asap it would be great. thankyou in advance

DRIFTER WANNABE

DO WORK
Aug 15, 2008
southern oregon
ON the stock gauges you can pull the wire from the sensor and ground it to the engine and it will make the gauge pin out so you will know the wire and gauge are good so that leaves the sending unit i dont know how your aftermarket setup works though

kale

Aug 28, 2010
adelaide
I don't have an aftermarket gauge I ment I normal gauge to hook up to the motor, Is the black connector that slides onto the sender unit the right one? Sorry for stupid questions but the wiring loom confused me lol

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

Also forgot to add I have an electronic dash so it doesn't have a pin if that makes any difference?

kale

Aug 28, 2010
adelaide
Cranking without efi fuse in

---------- Post added at 01:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 AM ----------

Also tried grounding the black plug which slides over the oil sensor (pretty sure it's the right one?) and the gauge did not move, pretty sure the gauge worked before I pulled the motor but not 100% as I only drove it for a few days after buying it and the head gasket going

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Pull the plugs and crank it for awhile, if everything is dry it's going to take a bit of time before you see pressure, plugs out = faster cranking speed and helps the Oil pump "prime" if you didn't put any grease inside it.

kale

Aug 28, 2010
adelaide
Ok thanks I will try that right now and let you know how I go, no I didn't grease the pump up so I hope that is all the problem is. I got a little worried cos I was cranking it for ages until the battery went flat then put a battery pack on and kept cranking. Hope this fixes it, thanks :)

kale

Aug 28, 2010
adelaide
How long roughly should it take? Been doing it for about 5 mins without the plugs in and still sits at 0, also I only put in 5L of oil and the tsrm says a dry fill needs 5.1L I only had a 5L bottle would this affect it in anyway, thanks

kale

Aug 28, 2010
adelaide
Tried that as said before and the oil gauge didn't move, just to be sure it is the single wire that goes onto a black plug right? Grounded it and nothing happened with the gauge

kale

Aug 28, 2010
adelaide
So close to starting it, have had it off the road for 5 months :( should I buy a plug in oil pressure gauge tommorrow and try that?

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
crank for a bit shine a flashlight down the oil filler and see if the oil is on the cam lobe, could be a broken wire in the harness. if oil is making it to the top then its fine to run till you figure out whats wrong, or buy a aftermarket oil pressure gauge.

hell even stick you finger in an feel for oil,

kale

Aug 28, 2010
adelaide
Yeah might buy another gauge tommorrow and see how I go, could there be a fuse blown? If so which one? I am pretty sure oils making it up to the cams

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
If you ground the single wire that slides over the oil pressure sending unit and the gauge does nothing with the key on then its a problem with the gauge or the wiring between the OPSU and the gauge.. If the cam lobe is coated in oil your fine..

kale

Aug 28, 2010
adelaide
everything else is working so shouldnt be that, but thanks, what type of thread do i need to get for my new gauge? i have looked through the forums but havent found an excact type of thread, i saw that greddy ones fit, is this true? if so im going to buy one tomorrow morning