Rebuilt CT26 bad oil seals? need some advice guys

jessemkiiis

Sep 28, 2009
Childersburg AL,
I have a ct26 that was completely rebuilt, no expense spared the only parts reused were the exhaust and compressor housings.
this was in 2010 iirc, shortly after the rebuild my car came down with a BHG and it sat for a good while before it was drivable again.
fast forward about 500 miles and i started to nice a lot of oil smoke at idle and under acceleration. not wanting to inflict anymore damage than what was already done i sent to car to a friends shop for body work( which took a year ) the car was started every now and then just to keep the juices flowing but that was it. since i waited too long to address the issue the turbo is no longer under warranty and the shop wants $450 to fix it. at this point im a little frustrated, the paint hasn't even come off the exhaust housing yet. zero shaft play other than for oil clearances.

one part of me wants to just go with a new turbo setup, Holset perhaps. but then im looking at a lot of extra money replacing my down pipe,charge pipe, manifold ect. all the parts that i have already purchased once and would rather not replace.

on the other hand i damn sure dont want to give this ass hat another 450 bucks to replace parts that are still good
(he said all the bearings thrust washers ect would be new) I don't mean to sound cheap and i know corners do not need to be cut on parts such as the turbo. Can I order and replace the parts to fix it without have it rebalanced?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm just about to purchase an SP 6262, you may want to see what happens there (from sound performance).
It's supposed to be a bolt on replacement for the ct26. Starting a thread after I respond to yours just to get input prior to ordering. This or the Boss Sr. Turbo were the only upgrades I could find before hopping up to a T4 setup.

Shoul be up and running on it in about 3-4 weeks if your not in a hurry. Will be dynoing it too.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Unless they've changed the 'bolt on' replacements - and I think I would have heard about that - they aren't exactly bolt-on.

They bolt to the exhaust manifold and downpipe. You will need new oil lines, water lines, intake pipe, and more than likely the output to the IC will be a different size. Upgrading to a normal turbo / external wastegate really means buying a new exhaust manifold and downpipe in addition.

I'd never go with the bolt on unit again, not after having run both.

OP: I'd have no faith in the guy who built your current unit, and giving him more money is just throwing good money after bad. If you decide to get it fixed, have a better shop do it.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Agreed with Grimjack on all points.

Should have mentioned its a waterless turbo (dual ball bearing) and I have to fab the oil lines as well. Not quite a bolt on.

I will eventually run t4, just not yet.

I'm not savvy enough about turbos to comment on a rebuild unfortunately. In the end a ct26 is great but limited. If you can go a different route. Will cost more but in the end you will be happier. (Pretty well everyone would advise this so it's a question of "are you stuck with the stock manifold/downpipe?" Like me for now)