rebuilding the front subframe -

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
part of a larger build, but refreshing the front sub frame first.

It came out of the car with no problems, already had the engine out.

replaced the wheel bearings, subframe bushings and control arm bushings.

Putting it back together now and could use some assistance from those that have installed RonnieK bushings

I have the bushing installed in the subframe with the sleeves. I have the sleeves flush with the bottom of the bushing. The top of the sleeve sticks up at least half an inch, and when I put the top cushion on the sleeve, the cushion floats on the top of the sleeve. I dont think this is correct, as it would let the subframe float up and down on the sleeve?!?

Attachments

• 2012-07-29_13-42-15_850.jpg
    2012-07-29_13-42-15_850.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 2012-07-29_13-41-54_435.jpg
    2012-07-29_13-41-54_435.jpg
    473.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 2012-07-29_13-42-07_555.jpg
    2012-07-29_13-42-07_555.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 127

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I think you just need to torque it down and it will all fall into place. Maybe get a new cushion if you are worried about it. The subframe is supposed to float up and down a little bit and the cushion controls/dampens that movement.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Hey Steve-
Sorry for the late response. I didn't seem to have this issue with my setup.
I suggest you measure the length of the sleeves and send that info to Ronnie. He'll know if yours are the correct length.
It's certainly a possibility that whoever machines those sleeves for him, had made a few that were too long.

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
request to anyone that has a ronnie K front subframe kit - can you post the length of the sleeves you recieved - thanks in advance!

Just measured my sleeves - they seem to be 2.75 inches

Dont think it matters but the subframe is from a USA 92 turbo

Last edited:

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
I noticed the same thing with mine, but they looked so close to the OEM I attributed the size difference to 20+years of weight.... crushing them

with the hats on the top the sleeves seemed to have a 1/4" protruding on the top....

spinningheadboy

Ich bin gegan alles
Apr 1, 2005
idaho
I think I had it protruding out on top also.....the hats would have nothing to stick too if they were not up a bit.

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
Been a bit bummed, I really dont want to take the sleeves to the machine shop-

I tried to torque it all down and see if it would all just fall into place..... no such luck, there is still a gap beteween the cushion and the subframe-

I remember that I had to pry the cusions from the subframe during disassembly, so I dont think there is supposed to be 1/4 inch float.

RPSil13 - I did not see the cushions in your post, did you instll wit the stock top cushions? If so how much did you have removed from the sleeve?

And this was supposed to be the easy no brainer start to aa build.....:)

Thanks for all the suggestions, any others have this problem?

Steve

ronniek

Authorized Vendor
May 2, 2005
auckland
Hello Steve,
Thanks for feedback.
The cushions should sit on the subframe.Has problem been sorted out?.
I will rechecked measurements again as I do not make the sleeves now,plus I will try and start making new cushions to be included in the frotn subframe kit.
I have held off on the cushions because of cost of making the cushions.

steve_mk3;1863608 said:
Been a bit bummed, I really dont want to take the sleeves to the machine shop-

I tried to torque it all down and see if it would all just fall into place..... no such luck, there is still a gap beteween the cushion and the subframe-

I remember that I had to pry the cusions from the subframe during disassembly, so I dont think there is supposed to be 1/4 inch float.

RPSil13 - I did not see the cushions in your post, did you instll wit the stock top cushions? If so how much did you have removed from the sleeve?

And this was supposed to be the easy no brainer start to aa build.....:)

Thanks for all the suggestions, any others have this problem?

Steve

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
Hi Ronnie - Thanks for chiming in and thanks for the PMs.

It seems that the sleeves may be to long - about 1/4 inch. that is for me on a 92 subframe, pics above

This is easy to miss. I installed the busings and got it all setup on a pair of saw-horses. I ws really doing a test run to make sure everything fit. On one side I drove the sleeves up so they would be nicely flush with the bottom of the bushing, the other side I did not drive them up quite as far, maybe 1/8" sticking our the bottom. On the side that was 1/8, the cushions are close, I noticed it on the ther side. When I tried torqing them down, the sleeves dont move - very easy to miss.

Supraguy - is it possible that you have a 1/8 inch gap on both sides of the bushings? or 1/16 between the sleeve and the bushing, 1/16 from the bushing not being driven all the way into the frame and then 1/8 at the top? or some combination like that. Again the bushing will not get pulled up into the frame as the sleeve is to long. I see you have a 88, I have a 92 - is there any difference????

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
I want to be very clear here, Ronnie has been 100% responsive and helpfull. Some people have no, zero issues. Trying to sort out if this is a problem or not and if it is specific to me.
I love how the bushing themselfs fit and the construction. just need to figure out the sleeves.

Ronnie- offering cushion would be a good addition to the kit.

Thank you to all that are assisting!!!!!

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
adxx - thank you for the photos-
The fourth photo pretty clearly shows the stock cushion sitting up off the frame. Seems to be an identical fit to RonnieK bushings and sleeves.

Do I just proceed forward? I dont ever want to do this job again, and once the engine is in - well......