Rebuilding R154

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Well i have the rebuild kit from driftmotion, 1st gear thrust washer, and HD bearing plate. My question is, where can i have my transmission rebuilt? Is a place like AAMCO worth taking it to? Or is there some better place to ship my transmission to? Im really wanting to keep the shop local, But i will drive a few hrs to drop it off some where if need be.

What are your guys suggestions as to getting this thing rebuilt?

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
pbasil1;1019866 said:
Well i have the rebuild kit from driftmotion, 1st gear thrust washer, and HD bearing plate. My question is, where can i have my transmission rebuilt? Is a place like AAMCO worth taking it to? Or is there some better place to ship my transmission to? Im really wanting to keep the shop local, But i will drive a few hrs to drop it off some where if need be.

What are your guys suggestions as to getting this thing rebuilt?

Marlin Crawler.. they rebuild some of the best transmissions in the world.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Zumtizzle;1019921 said:
X2

Marlin Crawler or BUST!

They Check and Replace everything as needed! Not Much eighter ~400ish!

Damn, so i just ship the tranny to them and they rebuild it completely? What about all the parts i have for it already!? Are they going to use them or will they want to use their own? Also, have any idea on a shipping cost?

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
pbasil1;1020054 said:
Damn, so i just ship the tranny to them and they rebuild it completely? What about all the parts i have for it already!? Are they going to use them or will they want to use their own? Also, have any idea on a shipping cost?

Shipping it will be costly, shop around your area and you may find a reputable shop that already touched toyota trannies. You aint searching hard enough...

I agreed though with MC but it's up to you.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
OneJSupra;1020281 said:
Shipping it will be costly, shop around your area and you may find a reputable shop that already touched toyota trannies. You aint searching hard enough...

I agreed though with MC but it's up to you.

of course you agree with me.. oh and my ratings are better, sort of :biglaugh:

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
+1 for Marlin Crawler, but they have an eight week wait time if you want your tranny rebuilt. The guy I talked to, James I think, quoted me between 1100.00 -1200.00 USD.

Jeff Watson at Champion Toyota, here in Houston, has a connection to get them done for 500.00 plus parts.

Wayne

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
SPD TRP;1021897 said:
+1 for Marlin Crawler, but they have an eight week wait time if you want your tranny rebuilt. The guy I talked to, James I think, quoted me between 1100.00 -1200.00 USD.

Jeff Watson at Champion Toyota, here in Houston, has a connection to get them done for 500.00 plus parts.

Wayne

I rather spend my money at Marlin Crawler, DSM have John Sheperd, R154s have Marlin Crawler... My 2 cents, If anyone feels i am wrong then say something, I am not a Cheap MKIII owner, When my tranny breaks Marlin Crawler will be rebuilding mine...

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Well i have since emailed Marlin Crawler for a quote. Awaiting an answer... Thanks for the input so far guys! Greatly appreciated!

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
i did mine myself with a 30 ton press and some other tool's.hopefully once the car's off jackstand's,it'll work.finger's crossed.

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
pbasil1;1022331 said:
Well i have since emailed Marlin Crawler for a quote. Awaiting an answer... Thanks for the input so far guys! Greatly appreciated!

Marlin Crawler has a few upgrades for thr R154, He custom makes a bearing plate, Suppostly the stock one flexes & helps destroy the thrust washer.

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
Jostar;1021974 said:
I rather spend my money at Marlin Crawler, DSM have John Sheperd, R154s have Marlin Crawler... My 2 cents, If anyone feels i am wrong then say something, I am not a Cheap MKIII owner, When my tranny breaks Marlin Crawler will be rebuilding mine...

Long wait time from MC. I dropped mine off at Jeff's rebuilder, the same guy that build Titan motorsports tranny, forgot what it is called but it has no synchros. Labor is 549.00, not 500.00.

Wayne

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Jostar;1023076 said:
Marlin Crawler has a few upgrades for thr R154, He custom makes a bearing plate, Suppostly the stock one flexes & helps destroy the thrust washer.

I already have the bearing plate for the tranny waiting to go in. :)

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Jostar;1023247 said:
Let us know how the tranny hold after the upgraded bearing plate.

Sure thing... Though i wont have the best before/after comparisons because the clutch that is in now, slips like crazy on launching or banging gears.... Its about to die. Plus the motor will be alot stronger when the rebuilt tranny goes on because im rebuilding the motor with the tranny at the same time....

Jostar

AEM powered 1JZGTE!!!
May 21, 2007
Chicago
pbasil1;1023294 said:
Sure thing... Though i wont have the best before/after comparisons because the clutch that is in now, slips like crazy on launching or banging gears.... Its about to die. Plus the motor will be alot stronger when the rebuilt tranny goes on because im rebuilding the motor with the tranny at the same time....

Hopefully my tranny holds the power im trying to make in a few months, I have plenty clutch or should i say clutches ( Spec twin disk) :naughty: 10k Rpm built head, HKS 272s, Dual pumps, blah blah, don't wanna jack this thread with my garbage.