Rebuilding my engine harness

So i bought a turbo ecu and harness and the harness was in pretty rough shape, lots of cracked wires, sensors missing, etc. now i have done some work to my engine, such as removing the EGR and AC, i want to have a clean looking harness with only the bare essentials, what sensors can i cut off and or not use ?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
To have a properly running engine with the stock ecu you need to keep all the ones that are there. Better to keep egr unless switching to a standalone as well.

And if you dont know what everything does then you shouldnt be cutting connectors off.

thank you for posting the easiest way out of an answer ive seen on SM, the reason im here is because i CANT READ THAT STUFF, im not any way electrically inclined, so thats useless to me, and i live in a place where knowledge about these cars is hard to come by. more like non existent

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I was going to try and help here... but then you said you know what the sensors do, already removed EGR and admitted you're not electrically inclined. On top of that you don't want to read a 4 page PDF to learn how over 100 wires work to keep your engine running.

I made my own 100% custom wiring harness (which is perfectly functional for over a year and 5,000 miles I might add) and feel fully qualified to tell you that you have no business modifying the wiring if you can't be bothered to read 4 pages of information. What you are asking about is an advanced subject and requires a lot of time investment to understand.

There is no easy answer here, this is not a go kart. It's a complex system that Toyota has fully documented for you in the TEWD. Any info I have to provide is as an add-on to the existing TSRM info. If you don't want to learn it, then I guess you'll have to play Russian roulette with your harness (and therefore engine) or keep it factory.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
jetjock;1992730 said:
^ Now that's entertainment.

OP: So you want to rebuilt your harness and know what all the sensors do yet are asking which of them can be removed and you aren't in anyway way electrically inclined. Got it.

That's what I got out of it, too.

okay, i guess your all misunderstanding what im saying, yes ive read all the online manuels, i know what the sensors do and how relays and resistors work, im probably not giving myself enough credit. but either way, all i was asking for was a list of the sensors your engine doesnt need to run once its at normal operating temp. But ive found a local guy who has helped tremendously with this harness, showed me what sensors i didnt need, what ones i should look into before removal, how to rewire knock and to fix a few sensors that are broken. Im sure it would have been just as easy to ask for a better explanation than immediately jumping down someone's throat. but thanks anyways

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Well tehcnically the tccs needs all the sensors for it to work properly.

IF you only want it to particially run how it should you could have asked that. If you were running a standalone right now you could have deleted a few things and not have it effect anything.

But like said if you know what everything does then you wouldnt be asking what you could delete because you would know what controls what and the side effects of removing said piece will do.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Adam Taylor;1993138 said:
okay, i guess your all misunderstanding what im saying, yes ive read all the online manuels, i know what the sensors do and how relays and resistors work, im probably not giving myself enough credit. but either way, all i was asking for was a list of the sensors your engine doesnt need to run once its at normal operating temp. But ive found a local guy who has helped tremendously with this harness, showed me what sensors i didnt need, what ones i should look into before removal, how to rewire knock and to fix a few sensors that are broken. Im sure it would have been just as easy to ask for a better explanation than immediately jumping down someone's throat. but thanks anyways

If we may know, what sensors did this mystery person say you didn't need? I bet the motor would "run" with about half the sensors removed, but it won't run completely. There aren't many extra sensors in the engine bay of a 7M with a stock ECU. Until you go EMS, you'll do at least a little bit of harm removing just any sensor. You could remove the boost gauge sender... but that's about it.

PS, you got the response you did because you approached the situation like many new people do that just want to fuck with their car. If you want to make your car better, great! Understand that to do that you'll need to take the time to learn about the car and its systems before you start trying to remove sensors to "clean it up". If you ask short-cut questions and refuse the correct answer you're not going to get far on this site and you're going to end up with a broken car. If you're "that" kind of car person you can try your luck on Supraforums and see if they seem more "helpful".

Main_044.gif

Main_045.gif

7mlayout2.jpg

ok, so the sensors he said i could remove are as follows, Cold start injectors, do a rewire on my knock sensors, vsv, EGR, A/C magnetic switch, ECT computer, and the whole plug with headlight relay, defogger relay and turbo indicator, and FYI, this is an 88 turbo harness going onto a 87 non turbo.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
You can remove those sensors if you never start the car cold or hot, never idle, never use ac, are using a JDM ecu, are using a manual trans and never want to use your defogger.

If you need a non turbo harness, perhaps you should buy one?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
It never gets cold in Canada! you could always ask your mom to help. Maybe she can read cygnusx1.net since you've already stated you can't read it.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
How are you going to use your head lights with no head light relay?

And you will want to keep the fuel pressure vsv. Lol.

Still sounds like you don't know.