rebuilding 7M

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
ok, so ive gone through every page and tried searching but cannot really find what im trying to find out. so i already have a bunch of parts for a rebuild but i am wondering if anyone has other suggestions or anything. i want to know what else i need basically.

what i have(came from Mizumo Auto):

NPR pistons, .020 over
NPR rings to go with it
ACL Main Bearings STD
ACL Rod Bearings STD
ACL Thrust Washer STD
Full Gasket kit
Water Pump
Oil Pump
Timing Belt

What I KNOW i still need:
ARP Head Studs
Metal Head Gasket
Vacuum Hoses
Machining

What else am i missing?
What should I expect to pay for boring, resurfacing, valve job?
Should anything else be machined? (other than timing plate, head and block surface, and obviously cylinders bc im going with larger pistons.)

Also, before anyone recommends forged pistons, i know, i want them, i dont have the money for them. i already have cast pistons sitting in the garage, still in the packaging of course. Sorry if this has been covered eleventy billion times. Thanks in advance.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Crankshaft machining, and i always think its a good idea to have the motor balanced.

Expect to pay around the area of $800-$1100 for machining.

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
You already ordered bearings before the machining was done? Usually the machinist will tell you which ones to buy...anyways, gl with the build! Personally, I'd go with arp rod bolts, and get the big ends of them machined for those. Increases the tensile strength of the whole assembly.

Last edited:

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
i did not order the bearings, the previous owner had already bought the pistons, rings, gasket set, and bearings. i am hoping that i can use the standard size bearings. which part should i machine on the rod?
You have to machine the rods to use arp rod bolts?

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
I've been out of recent bearing discussions in the Supra community over the last few years....

That said, there is no such thing as a standard main/rod bearing for a 7M. The bearing size required has to be determined based on the rod, block and crank diameters. The procedure for sizing the bearings is in the TSRM.

I know "standard" size bearings are sold, but they would make the Toyota engineers cringe. The parameter that truly governs journal bearing performance is clearance; set it correctly.

The rods are finish bored at the factory after the rod bolts are pressed in. When you put in new rod bolts with a slightly different diameter, the bores will go slightly out of round and therefore need to be bored slightly larger.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
turbotoy;1370347 said:
I've been out of recent bearing discussions in the Supra community over the last few years....

That said, there is no such thing as a standard main/rod bearing for a 7M. The bearing size required has to be determined based on the rod, block and crank diameters. The procedure for sizing the bearings is in the TSRM.

I know "standard" size bearings are sold, but they would make the Toyota engineers cringe. The parameter that truly governs journal bearing performance is clearance; set it correctly.

The rods are finish bored at the factory after the rod bolts are pressed in. When you put in new rod bolts with a slightly different diameter, the bores will go slightly out of round and therefore need to be bored slightly larger.

Terminology wise for the bearings, I have to disagree...look here:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=72

Toyota in fact does use standard size bearings...the last paragraph refers to the numbering system (0-5) used for bearings in the standard range. The whole idea is to properly set clearances. In order to do that Toyota used the numbered sizing system to make allowances for manufacturing variances. Toyota engineers are the ones that came up with the standard sizing.

If you replace the rod bolts, the rod end will have to be resized...it does not necessarily have to be made larger though. Material is removed from the mating surfaces on the rod end cap, intentionally making the rod end an ellipse with the shorter diameter along the length of the rod. The machinist takes off material at the top/bottom to create a new circle. The sides experience very little wear...setting the clearances can easily be done to near (if not exactly) the original diameter.

turbotoy

Apr 4, 2005
NY
jdub;1370363 said:
Terminology wise for the bearings, I have to disagree...look here:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=72

Toyota in fact does use standard size bearings...the last paragraph refers to the numbering system (0-5) used for bearings in the standard range. The whole idea is to properly set clearances. In order to do that Toyota used the numbered sizing system to make allowances for manufacturing variances. Toyota engineers are the ones that came up with the standard sizing.

If you replace the rod bolts, the rod end will have to be resized...it does not necessarily have to be made larger though. Material is removed from the mating surfaces on the rod end cap, intentionally making the rod end an ellipse with the shorter diameter along the length of the rod. The machinist takes off material at the top/bottom to create a new circle. The sides experience very little wear...setting the clearances can easily be done to near (if not exactly) the original diameter.

Agreed 100%. The word "standard" often results in misinterpretation when it comes to select fit bearing applications. I had intended to reference the one size fits all bearings labeled as "standard" by Clevite 77 and the aforementioned ACL company for the 7M.