rebuild

leadthrower22

Oct 29, 2007
Chico, CA
Hello all,

I am doing a MHG on a 1991 7m-gte, it has about 140,000 miles on it, and has had the head gasket replaced once.

Seeing as I need to pull the engine for this, I plan on replacing all gaskets, seals, bearings, and hoses, and the water pump. I also plan on doing exaust studs. Is there anything else that I should be looking at replacing/fixing while I'm this deep into it?

Thanks

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
If you're going that far, I'd replace the oil pump, squirters, valve stem seals, & valve springs. If the hg has been replaced already before, ensure the block and head are within spec (ra & height-wise) for a proper mhg with arp's. You need to post horsepower goals and proposed engine use for the pros on here to elaborate further......I'd hardness test the head to make sure it's good as well. gl

leadthrower22

Oct 29, 2007
Chico, CA
thanks for replying.

I am looking for 350-400rwhp or so, it will be a daily driver so it needs to be reliable.

Also, how long do you guys think parts for this thing will be around?

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
How long will they be around? for a long time hopefully... there still a semi-new car, and you have a 91, so its a lot "newer" than an 86.5.... Why are you concerned though? you can get everything online.

where are you at in CA??

And you should look into getting the rod bolts replaced with some ARP bolts if you plan to push that much power... Along with ARP Head Studs

leadthrower22

Oct 29, 2007
Chico, CA
I am over the river and through the woods in Crescent City, up in the northwest corner.

Can I get all the parts NewWestSupras suggested from toyota?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'd go the helicoil + 7/16" exhaust stud upgrade route, I think Aaron from driftmotion sells those.

Make certain you get the head tested for hardness first - lots of extreme heat cycles tends to make them soft, and you don't want to pour money into a head that's softened.

Might as well get the machine shop to replace your frost plugs as well. Oh, and get your oil pump drive shaft bearings replaced as well. I'd suggest getting the machine shop to install them, they require a special tool - and make sure they line up the oil holes.

Can't hurt to get your valve seats done.

For the valve springs, pick up the domestic replacements. I don't recall exactly which ones it is off the top of my head, but a bit of searching will find the info, or someone else will chime in here. I do recall that you need two packages.

While the engine is out, I'd check the steering rack for leaks, and possibly pick up some stainless braided lines for it, it's just so much easier to put those on while the engine bay is empty!

Redo the CPS seals as well, there is a bearing and inner seal that isn't included in the gasket kits from Toyota (or anywhere else for that matter) - I picked one up from clubmr2.com.

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
Try Jeff @ Champion Toyo for your dealer parts needs:
The Compcams valve springs are the wtg imho. Iirc, they are 975 12's, and you need 2 sets. hth

JAB89

Supramania Contributor
Mar 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
NewWestSupras;940423 said:
Try Jeff @ Champion Toyo for your dealer parts needs:
The Compcams valve springs are the wtg imho. Iirc, they are 975 12's, and you need 2 sets. hth
Right on both counts.

Champion/Jay Marks Toyota is about 25% off and they have an 800 number. You should be able to avoid your local sales tax as well:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11116

See post #9 in thread below for good info on the valve aprings (post #7 is great too, you'll see what I mean). But seriously, I ordered mine direct from the CompCams web site...good price and fast shipping.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55363&highlight=Comp+Cams

leadthrower22

Oct 29, 2007
Chico, CA
I've rebuilt about 20 lawnmower engines, and 10 chainsaws, does that count? :icon_bigg

thanks for all your guys replies.

edit: Oh yea JAB89, I do see what you mean, they definitely have some spring there haha.

adicken1

The Man!
Jan 17, 2008
Memphis
leadthrower22;940148 said:
Hello all,

I am doing a MHG on a 1991 7m-gte, it has about 140,000 miles on it, and has had the head gasket replaced once.

Seeing as I need to pull the engine for this, I plan on replacing all gaskets, seals, bearings, and hoses, and the water pump. I also plan on doing exaust studs. Is there anything else that I should be looking at replacing/fixing while I'm this deep into it?

Thanks

I've got a question for ya, that may be sort of dumb... but not really. :naughty: You said that you're doing the MHG, and from your post it looks sounds as if you're doing it because of the high mileage... is my assumption correct?

Do you know who did the last headgasket job? If so, do you know if it was done correctly? Is there anything wrong with the car right now?

In my opinion, if you don't have a blown head, I would hold off and get a solid gameplan together first... do some research on the car and its motor, and make sure you know whats going on before you hop into it.

I'm not at all saying that the car couldn't benefit from some freshening up and all, but if you go into the project blind, then you could very easily do more harm than good. Hell if the current gasket is okay, you could get some thousands more of driving out of it... provided that you don't drive like you're behind the wheel of the Batmobile. :biglaugh:

- Andrew :drink1:

P.S. Unless you were working on high performance, japanese, turbocharged chainsaws, then I'd say that those don't count. LOL. :icon_bigg

Good Luck

leadthrower22

Oct 29, 2007
Chico, CA
I should clarify, I haven't started yet. Thats why I'm here right now, I'm trying to gain some knowledge. It does have BHG though, thats why I'm doing it.

adicken1

The Man!
Jan 17, 2008
Memphis
leadthrower22;940911 said:
I should clarify, I haven't started yet. Thats why I'm here right now, I'm trying to gain some knowledge. It does have BHG though, thats why I'm doing it.

You're doing the right thing. Like MDC said, the 7M is not the best motor to start on - in my opinion its primarily due to the difficulty in having the block machined correctly. So don't settle to just doing research on the forums... put just as much research and effort into your machinist... This is key.

ImpulseDrive

Apr 23, 2007
Brooklyn
There was a list of parts recommended to buy during a HG fix done by one of the admins to do it right. (it was pretty long) I'm trying to search for it but can't find it. I checked the stickies and everything.

I THINK grimjack or supracentral did it but I'm not positive. (sorry if it was someone else!) If anyone can direct me to the link I would really appreciate it!

Edit - Found it! and it was by shaef sorry sha!

Last edited: