Rebuild Thread w/ Price List (Pics)

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
I decided to condense all the info on my rebuild into one thread so people can follow along on my progress. I will be asking many questions, and I am sure other people have questions too about a rebuild.

This is a list of what has been done so far with prices, I will update the prices and list when everything is finished up:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Machine Work:

Hot Tank Block in Al Cleaner: 98.00

Measure Pistons and Cylinders
Remove Pistons from Rods
Measure Crank Mains + Rods } 116.00
Measure Small/Big end Rods

Clean Crank, Rods and Other Misc: 30.00
Clean Head: 35.00
Bore Block, Hone + Reclean: 198.00
Magnaflux Crankshaft(cracked): 40.00
Magnaflux Six Rods: 45.00
Rebuild Six Rods: 120.00
Vacuum Test Valves: 20.00
Mill Head: 89.00
Clean and Magnaflux new crank: 45.00
Grind, Polish, Chamfer Oil Holes on Crank: 199.00
Complete Balancing: 250.00
Measure Wristpin Clearance Hone out Pin Bushings .0005: 68.00

Total for Machine Work Done: 1472.00(includes tax)
------------------------------------------------------------------

Parts for Rebuild:

Crankshaft: 65.00 (Thanks Malloynx)
.040 Wiseco Pistons/Rings: 645.00
King Main Bearings: 45.00
King Rod Bearings: 40.00
Thrust Washers: 10.00
Cometic 2.0 mm MHG: 150.00
Ebay Gasket Kit: 109.00
Misc Hoses and other stuff: 100.00

Total Parts: 1164.00
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Performance parts needed:

Aeromotive AFPR Kit: 295.00
EGT Gauge and Thermocouple: 130.00
Walbro Fuel Pump: 93.00
Injectors Cleaned: 70.00
FPD Delete: 65.00
Spec Clutch Disc: 180.00
Stock PP: 50.00

Estimated Total Performance Parts: 883.00
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Estimated Total Cost of Everything: 3530.00
Estimated Total Cost of Rebuild: 2637.00

Last edited:

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
Tons of pics...starting off with pulling the engine to where I am now...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Pistons and Gasket Kit:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Removing the Fuel tank for Walbro Install and replacing all the nasty lines:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
Nice rebuilt you got going there, but your machine shop is charging you what my machine shop charges but look at the difference, in their machine work, their resurface of the block is top notch, imagine what the rest of the work they do looks like!

here take a look, but i would sugest to get that deck re-done
p74587_1.jpg

p74587_2.jpg

p74587_3.jpg

BTW This is for SuprA70, i build 7M's for the folks here in Socal. So use these photos and show your machine shop that they need to step up their work a bit :icon_wink

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
soapra said:
Nice rebuilt you got going there, but your machine shop is charging you what my machine shop charges but look at the difference, in their machine work, their resurface of the block is top notch, imagine what the rest of the work they do looks like!

here take a look, but i would sugest to get that deck re-done
p74673_1.jpg

p74673_2.jpg

p74673_3.jpg

BTW This is for SuprA70, i build 7M's for the folks here in Socal. So use these photos and show your machine shop that they need to step up their work a bit :icon_wink

The deck hasn't been machined yet, ran out of cash before I could get it done. If you look at my price list decking the block isn't included. My head looks the same as your block, so I am sure my machinist can produce the same finish on my block.

Last edited:

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
kwnate said:
Just looks like cleaner parts and better lighting to me. Can't wait to tear mine down. Lookin good.

Remember that the cleaner the Assembly, the better for your engine, there was alot more done to the crank, block and head than the eye can see, so just remember, the cleaner it goes together, the better the chances of it lasting longer. Only reason why I shared these with you guys is so you guys can use it as a reference and have a better turn out when your engines are up and runing, good luck and enjoy the fruit of your labor. :naughty:

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
Well all the machine work is done, I needed to have the crank ground so I will be using .25mm over Kings bearings. The total for machine work came out to around 1475.00. I just paid a deposit today and will pay the rest on next friday and pick up the parts. I don't have a breakdown of exactly what every process cost but will update the price list when I get the final invoice. Pics to come...

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
Prices are updated in the first post. I got my crank, rods, and pistons back from the machine shop today. The 7m crank I got from Malloynx was ground and polished. The small ends on the rods were resized. Everything was balanced. Here are some pics of everything.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
looking good brotha. make sure they cleaned the oil gallies on the crank and installed fresh plugs

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
malloynx said:
looking good brotha. make sure they cleaned the oil gallies on the crank and installed fresh plugs

I am almost positive he did but I will check it out. Never can be too careful. I am just waiting on my .25mm oversize Kings bearings and I can start assembling. Later.

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
yea, cleaning out the crank is a must. we have no idea what's inside the oil gallies in the crank. one blockage and your motor is toast

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
malloynx said:
yea, cleaning out the crank is a must. we have no idea what's inside the oil gallies in the crank. one blockage and your motor is toast

Well if he didn't clean them out how would I go about cleaning it? I have access to a parts washer.

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
Well I am still waiting on my main/rod bearings and thrust washers, but today I hung my pistons on my rods. More to come soon.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
Well I recieved my Bearings today, too bad the fucker sent me Standard Main Bearings instead of .25 mm oversize bearings like I asked for. More waiting.....

JT87NA

Mar 30, 2005
SLC, UT
Well I finally got my .25mm Oversize Main bearings from Guit-Guit on Ebay. He was a little slow sending out the other bearings but at least he did send them. Gotta put the block on the engine stand and start assembling it. Wish me luck :).

sm_photo_missing.jpg

MugenSeiki

Aug 17, 2005
Man! Thats a HUGE build your doing. Im doing a build at the moment but not as extreme as yours. Ive spent a total of $650 AU on parts, all parts a bit under trade price, and $130 on machine work. Parts include:
*Main and Big end bearings
*Piston ring set
*Full Gasket set
*New tensioner
*Radiator cleaned and new top tank
*Cam belt and all others
*K&N Filter, Top Gun Leads and Iridium Plugs
*All machine work was for head suface and preasure testing.
*Welsh plugs, knock sesor, front and rear main seals (or did these come with gasket set??, i cant remember.), few other bits and pieces including paint for block.
However, i should mention its not a turbo, second, im doing all cleaning myself and some work and have a great mechanic doing this rebuild with me, and third, im not using a metal head gasket. My mechanic organized all parts = VERY CHEAP!! And knows the engine inside out. He honed the bore, and checked all internals which saved me a HEAP of $$. He knows the deal with the torque in the head studs aswell. Ill post some pics. of where were at. Just put block together today.
Man, after seeing how good your stuff looks it makes me want to go buys some bits, but just dont have the funds right now. Keep the pics. coming and let us know how it goes.

Attachments

• Block.jpg
    Block.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Block Together.jpg
    Block Together.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Head.jpg
    Head.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited: