Rebuild or Replace?

dmcc

Mar 21, 2009
Arkansas
Hello!
I'm new to this whole supra world, so please bare with me a bit, (I'll try to refrain from being too annoying :p)
I just recently purchased myself a 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo. All stock, 197k, everything works (except for the passenger window motor) has the targa top, and such. Its a pretty decent car... for the price ($100 bucks :D).
However, the engine has a slight knock, it goes away for the most part once the engine has warmed, but as long as its cold, the tapping is rather annoying. (Obviously I'm not driving it, haha). I really like the way the car is styled, and it looks like it could be a fun to mess around with.
I have looked around and found a replacement 7m-GTE for $900.00 on Tiger Japanese. Or I could get the one I have rebuilt for $2225.00 at my local import engine shop. I can probably pull and replace the engine (I have done it before on my mustang -3.8 to 5.0- , however I hear that the supra is by far much more difficult).
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :) Thanks.

P.S. these pics are before I bought it, its been cleaned since then :D

Attachments

• 100_1514.jpg
    100_1514.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 100_1513.jpg
    100_1513.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 100_1517.jpg
    100_1517.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_1520.jpg
    100_1520.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_1515.jpg
    100_1515.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited by a moderator:

dmcc

Mar 21, 2009
Arkansas
Bumped
Basically what I'm asking is, Is a place like Tiger Japanese a good choice? I hear both bad a good from JDM's. It seems to be the luck of the draw? Or should I have the one I have rebuilt? Thanks!

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
If you want to keep the car, then rebuild the motor you have. If you buy a Jdm motor, it still needs a rebuild imho, so you are not ahead in that respect. You can take a chance and drop one in, but they don't pay re&re, so if you do that, you pays yer money, and you takes yer chances. If you rebuild the one you have, at least you know whats up with it. gl. Lotsa rebuild tips on here...

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
i would rebuild it. i wouldn't trust a jdm 7m as much as i would if were rebuilt by a shop. just do it right the first time! its not that hard to pull the motor. just research a little bit. if you have questions, search and see if it has been covered before. if not, then start a thread! the best idea when taking these motors out is taking it out in one piece. disconnect your fuel, oil, and vacuum lines, as well as the wiring harness from the computer inside the glove box, also the tranny mounts and pull the motor out! its not hard to do. i can have one out and on the ground is less than an hour!

EdT.Mk3

Sorta Secret Supra
Aug 21, 2008
San Diego
I'd rebuild with a forged bottom end(if you've got the funds), and set the foundation for when you finalize the goal of the car.

-Ed.T

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
If you plan on keeping the 7m and not goin 2j or 1j then deffinately rebuild it. If the knock isn't that bad you may not have to rebuild the whole thing or end up spending less. You never know what your gonna get from a used engine and during shipping stuff gets broken. If you do rebuild it would be like having a brand new engine! I think that's your best bet. GL!

dmcc

Mar 21, 2009
Arkansas
Alright, thanks for the input!
I'll take the car over to the shop and have them diagnose the knock.
(I might try the rebuild myself, other then the machine work)
I'll keep doing my homework, thanks! :)

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
if you buy all the parts needed for a rebuilt... you can have it done for around $3000. plus you will know exactly whats going into it.
if youve pulled a motor before, then doing again should be pretty easy. just print out the section in the tsrm to guide the process

hud43

hud43
Aug 15, 2005
Oak Harbor, Washington
I highly recommend braking down the engine and knowing what you are working with before you go and buy a low mileage JDM engine. Although it may seam like it will save you money and get you on the road faster, it will not! Take the thing apart and know what you have before you do anything.
I thought I could go the low mileage JDM route and I'm paying for it now. What I got for $900 plus $400 in shipping... BHG!!! I could have got the engine I have rebuilt for much less or went and bought a new long block for the same amount as I'm spending now.
Take it apart and get it checked first, then decide. I can't stress that enough.
I will say, either way it will be frustrating, but it's worth it and fun!!!

Last edited:

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
dmcc;1284203 said:
Alright, thanks for the input!
I'll take the car over to the shop and have them diagnose the knock.
(I might try the rebuild myself, other then the machine work)
I'll keep doing my homework, thanks! :)

Rebuilding it yourself would be nice so you can learn your engine. If you know what your doing then do it. I would do mine but i don't have all the tools and specs to do it but everything is so tight on these engines. I would order all the parts myself and make sure they are good parts and then have the shop rebuild it and hopefully they do everything right.

dmcc

Mar 21, 2009
Arkansas
*james*;1284691 said:
Rebuilding it yourself would be nice so you can learn your engine. If you know what your doing then do it. I would do mine but i don't have all the tools and specs to do it but everything is so tight on these engines. I would order all the parts myself and make sure they are good parts and then have the shop rebuild it and hopefully they do everything right.

I hear ya there.
I'm not too sure what I"ll be getting myself into...but I'm willing to learn :D ...and I plan(hope) to not screw everything up! I'll keep you guys updated, I appreciate the help! -I'm getting the car tomorrow *oh boy!* so then I'll start deciding on what I'm gonna do, but I'm feeling a 350rwph build. So I'm gonna do my homework on what to buy. Also... earlier up someone said something about a forged bottom end... could somebody elaborate? :) thanks!-

-DMcC

dmcc

Mar 21, 2009
Arkansas
Okay. So I'm making my list for the rebuild.
This is what I have down :
complete gasket set, set of pistons and rings, main bearings, rod bearings, thrust washers, timing belt, and oil pump.
I'll be also installing a set of 550 injectors to get myself on a head start for my goal build. Also will be doing a Metal HG of course.

What else do I need? If somebody doesn't mind chiming in!

DBN

FML
Jan 22, 2009
Fairfield, Ca
dont put that head gasket on without getting the block and head machined first. they will most likely leak if you dont. good luck.