Rebuild 7M Installed, Idling High and Whining

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
So a while back we put the new (read: rebuilt) 7M in, and it installed without any major issues. It starts up and idles, but the idle is at like 2000rpm or a little over. If I rev it up it responds just fine. The only think I can think of off hand would be a vacuum leak, but I can't find any hoses that are disconnected, and it idled fine before the swap.

Also, something is squeeling under the hood. I'm guessing it's just an improperly tensioned belt, so I need to check that, but I wanted to mention it as well.

Any help would be great!

Last edited:

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
CEL? I'm not familiar with that one.

The engine we put in was complete and ran well in the previous car (according to Rich, who I consider to be trustworthy). We didn't swap any sensors so they should be fine, right?

I'll check the idle adjustment... can't believe I didn't think of that. I'm a dumbass.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Check engine light. Have to jump te1 and e1 in the diag box on the main engine harness and then turn the key to on position and count the flashes. There all 2 digit numbers.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
I'm not sure you want to mess with the idle screw just yet. I had / have the same problem and my tps is toast which was making my idle motor open all the way and idle at 2000 plus RPM. just something you may want to look in to.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
89nasupra;1627747 said:
I'm not sure you want to mess with the idle screw just yet. I had / have the same problem and my tps is toast which was making my idle motor open all the way and idle at 2000 plus RPM. just something you may want to look in to.

I'll check it out. I still have the good tps off my old engine I put on and test. Thanks.

Evilsupra

Sep 15, 2007
Boca Raton
I had that whining problem after fixing a BHG a while ago...it ended up being a few loose screws in the lower intake manifold...hope this helps.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
I didn't have to pull the intake man for the swap; the new engine already had one. Unfortunately as my garage isn't heated and it's been fucking cold out, I still haven't played with the TPS yet. That's partially because I want to pull and clean the fuel tank and put fresh fuel in before I run her any more though too.