Reassembly of Block Front and rear covers.

aheroicrevolt

Le Kittens Meow
Sep 30, 2012
Grand Rapids MI
Ive got my 7mgte block back from the shop, and they didn't replace all the front and rear covers, and gears. I have no idea how this stuff goes back on.
I have 2 gears, a spring, a cup of bolts and washers, a large front cover for the waterpump, a smaller cover, and then another cover/ring/rainbow shaped piece that Im sure goes around the Harmonic somewhere and then I have the lower brackets that connect to the trans. I cant for the life of me figure those brackets out, One of them has a raised surface where it mounts to the block, and the block mounting location is completly flat. Do I fill the gap with washers? also, all my bolts and stuff are awkward numbers. I have 5 bolts the same length here, 7 the same length there...when i have 8 holes for motormounts, and 4 holes for brackets? confused...
Is there a good diagram or walk through on how to reassemble the timing pulleys and crank pulleys, balancer, covers, gaskets, etc etc? I am way out of my comfort zone right now because I didn't take them off, the shop did. So i have no idea how to fit them back together.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Well if he took it in with everything attached they would have pulled everything off and stuck it in a bag.

What I'm wondering is if the rear timing cover was machines with the block if he decked the surface.

aheroicrevolt

Le Kittens Meow
Sep 30, 2012
Grand Rapids MI
i had a spun bearing, so i had them machine the crank put over sized bearings in, new stock rods and pistons with new rings, and then hone the cylinders.
I turned just the block into them with everything on it. and Yes, they disassembled everyhthing, and put it all in one big bag. Which is the problem. Because I didn't remove it, I don't know the process to attach it.
I didnt have a pulley puller, so therefore all the pulleys, the covers, and the timing gears behind the covers were all still there. Now they are all in this bag, with a bunch of other stuff to.
Im not just looking for diagrams, Im looking for torque specs, part numbers, what gaskets i need, and the assembly process.