Rear Windshield Spoiler

Back2Basics

Regular
Dec 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
If they are in fact called this.....where can I get one? I'd put up a pic, but I cant find it anymore. I think its also been called a rear windshield wing??

jdmk3_87t

Take it!
Apr 29, 2005
SoCaL
I think you mean the rear hatch visor. PM KevinM on this forum...I think he may have some left.

Here's a pic of my replica:

p414393_1.jpg

Hope that helps man!

jdmk3_87t

Take it!
Apr 29, 2005
SoCaL
Here's a pic of mine and SuprA70's car...as you can see the difference on a pre89 and 89+. Mine is the replica hatch visor and SuprA70's is the OEM authentic hatch visor. You can barely tell.

p414714_1.jpg

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
:werd: I wasn't here the last time there was one, and I'm def down for one! It's kinda funny, I'm down for a lot of the group buys and shit being sold right now: Nashman's shifter, the brake booster brace, judub's ceramic coating skillz, etc.....

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
I would imagine the end results of an air flow test over the rear of your car would show NO air bending down over you Hatch so that it would reach the wing for some downforce. The Mustang Boss 302's had a similar issue, once they installed the louvers over the rear window, no air reached the spoiler/wing combo thus causing lift instead of the downforce the spoiler/wing combo created. They do make a cool sunshade though.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
suprageezer said:
I would imagine the end results of an air flow test over the rear of your car would show NO air bending down over you Hatch so that it would reach the wing for some downforce. The Mustang Boss 302's had a similar issue, once they installed the louvers over the rear window, no air reached the spoiler/wing combo thus causing lift instead of the downforce the spoiler/wing combo created. They do make a cool sunshade though.
There is very little if any air reaching the spoiler to begin with. This is pretty easily realized when you drive in the rain and the entire back of the car remains bone dry as long as you are moving at any decent speed.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
I’m not sure what you have or don’t have on the back of your car, BUT on my car every morning its covered with dew, I live close to the coast, as soon as I get on the freeway and up to about 45 the water streams start to clear my rear window, by the time I hit 80 that rear window as well as the rest of my car has been wiped clean of the water. Now my car doesn’t have a spoiler, nor does it have the bulbous stock wing. I'm running a wing off an old 86 firebird. Now in the rain behind MY car you can see what a difference the wing makes versus what it was like stock with nothing, the road surfaces water vapor looks like its sucked up behind the car then shoots upward off the wings rear lip obviously creating some downforce. As stock with nothing it was like you said, my back window never got wiped clean by the airflow. That’s just my car though, all wings are not created equal. For those of you who think funny little flat surfaces don’t have much effect on your car, do a little test and teach yourself something about downforce. Get someone to drive you while your in the passenger seat, get going about 60 mph and stick your arm out with your hand flat, tip it or down very little and you’ll feel just what downforce is. See even a small surface such as your arm and hand can create some serious downforce. Now have your bud hit 80 mph and see what happens when you stick your hand out the window like a wing. Now go 100 mph and YES many of you hit that on a regular basis now go ahead if you think you can and stick your hand out the window. So next time someone tells you wings and spoilers are just for looks, this or that, or they don’t contribute in any way ask them to verify that opinion by sticking their arm out a car’s window at 100 mph.