rear window leak. tried sealing but didnt work

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
after a long rain, when i open my hatch water runs out from the edge of the plastic on the inside so i popped it off to see where is was comin from. well it collects at lowest point and drips into the plactic. so i got some silicon chaulking and went around the bottom edge of the window. still have that problem...any ideas?

LAYZORBEEMZ

JZX73 owner
Jun 28, 2009
Maple Ridge, B.C.
I have the exact same problem, I was just going to take my hatch off an let a professional remove the window then re install it if there's no rust issues.

NTRA08

TWINKY
Jun 10, 2008
Conroe, Texas
Same Problem here. But my whole hatch glass isn't attached at the bottom. As a matter of fact I'm getting it resealed tomorrow.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Take off all the trim on the inside, lay down in the hatch with a flashlight, have someone hose down the car.

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
What you guys don't consider is that the rear windsheild wiper motor has a rubber seal that goes around where it swivels. Replacing that to see if it solves your problem first before you do anything drastic.

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
I have the same problem on my 89. It only happens on the drivers side. I replaced the wiper rubber seal and all the seals on my spoiler. that didn't work so then I used silicone to seal the lower window molding, but still no luck. My next steps are to do what mkiiichip suggests.

joliroger4

Flying Dutchman Pilot
Apr 4, 2005
New Jersey
www.geocities.com
I have the same exact problem. Had it since I have owned the car. I tried siliconing the lower molding as well and that did not work. I just deal with it now since the car is garaged and rarely gets wet, but how frustrating is it to not be able to resolve this?

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
when u take the trim off on hatch its still hard to see exactly where it leaks due to all the renforceing. but yeah i did the silicon around bottom molding..kinda slowed the problem but i think when i get the money im gonna have glass re fitted and seald.