Rear turbo by the muffler ????

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
I had someone suggest putting a turbo by the muffler saying the air is cooler back then and then would not an intercooler. I Google and got some information, but was wondering if the guy was just talking out his @ss for a Supra.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Waste of you life even thinking about it. The pressure drop just in 15 feet of ic piping is retarded. Not to mention your going to have a 15ft long intake and its all going to be a custom pain in the ass and you will have a turbo in plain site and take longer to spool as you have lost a lot of heat in the exhaust by the time it gets to the back of the car. Heat is what makes the exhaust gases move faster goving you better faster spool. This is why you want a thick manifold to retain heat.

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
I works but not well imo. sts says that they are the best tho. Iv seen a gto and a 350z with the kit, and both were not slow but I didnt drive it to feel lag or what not.

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
I thought it made no sense. The diagram I seen online showed the ic piping all the way from the rear to the front. I was thinking how big the turbo has to be then to keep the pressure all that way. Yea I thought it was a silly idea, no way in hell I would do that anyway.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
When i went to uti they had a gto 6.0 with a rear mount turbo. Only made mid 400's. With a cam intake and exhaust and tune you could make more than that with a ls engine.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Hvyman, mid 400's? That's easy enough NA without major modification... that's pathetic. Response would be devastatingly slow, so I can't give it any sort of recommendation.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya it was retarded. Complete waste and then some idiots raised the boost when teachers weren't looking an blew it. Lol.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I'd trust having the turbo right behind the foglight opening like I've seen on some MK4s and a few Mustangs. It looks awesome, probably not the best for the impeller if you have shitty filtration haha. but that's another idea

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
p1746207_1.jpg