Rear Suspension

qu3tzlgum8y

Jan 5, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, California
Is there a difference between the rear sub frames and suspension components on all of the mkiii supras? 86-92... turbo.. non turbo.. lsd.. manual/auto..

Is everything interchangeable?

I'm pretty sure the front sub frames are different between the years due to the power steering and obviously engine mounts.. but I'm not sure if the rear sub frame ever changed. Somebody crashed into my car last week and I need a new one, I need to make sure I am not limited to just an 89 sub frame.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Common to have a cracked subframe in the early Turbo MKIIIs. If you have the opportunity to upgrade to an 89+ subframe cheap (they usually run less than $150), get it (if you have a turbo anyways, dunno about cracking w/the N/As).

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
qu3tzlgum8y;1757819 said:
Damn, I was hoping they were all the same. The only supras available around here are 86 and 87, three of them.

If you can find a non cracked early frame the late braces are a bolt in, I'd go for something out of an auto NA if I had a choice as it's never been stressed as long as the Diff was bolted in correctly.

qu3tzlgum8y

Jan 5, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, California
IJ.;1757878 said:
If you can find a non cracked early frame the late braces are a bolt in, I'd go for something out of an auto NA if I had a choice as it's never been stressed as long as the Diff was bolted in correctly.

The three that are available are non turbo and I think they're automatic. The only thing is they are 86 and 87. As long as it bolts up and it gets me back on the road for now, I can live with that. I'm definitely not going to pay the 1700 for a new one, though..

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

Does anybody have a picture of this brace? or at least a description of where it is located?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Nosechunks;1758102 said:
Pres 89 sway bar links are metal, post 89 are plastic.

Not a big issue really. Never seen a broken plastic one, but I have seen ripped off tabs from the metal ones...

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Yea i know just noting the difference. Reninds me I need a plastic one, ripped it apart when I was doing the bushings. Stupid alen socket was stripped.

Miiike

May 2, 2010
Brampton
qu3tzlgum8y;1758128 said:
Does anybody have a picture of this brace? or at least a description of where it is located?

These things
p1758204_1.jpg