Rear suspension problem

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Hey, I picked up this 89 Turbo targa a few weeks ago and I noticed something when i go over a bump or so. Specifically when the road is bumpy the rear end of the car feels like its vibrating and rattling a lot like its going to fall apart, as well as when the rear driver side wheel goes over a bump the whole rear end feels like it swerves while the front end of the car is still straight..? The suspension does not sound blown, subframe does not look cracked or damaged in any way, what should I look for that can be causing this? The TSRM doesnt seem to be showing any detail in the rear end swerving over a bump. Let me know guys, thanks!

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
I just checked out the stabilizer bar looking things on each side of the car, looks like the driver side one is bent? Is there anything else i should check besides that?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I would replace that and see.

I'd also retorque the subframe bushing. That's the first thing I do when I get a car.
Iirc there either 95ftlbs or 195 ftlbs. But the term will have the spec. On my phone or I'd look an I'm lazy.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
The sway bar end links on the 89+ Supras look like plastic don't they? Do you think the pre-89's would work? They seem like theyre made out of metal and seem more sturdy than the plastic ones? Just a thought

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Is it broken? The links is just a Point to hold it. As long as it's not broken it's fine.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
No it does not seem to be broken. But i was just wondering, saves you from possible later on breakage? Since it is only plastic looking the metal ones should last longer? But for now I would replace the bent part. Is there a specific name for that? So I would know where to find it on the list of parts the yard gave me.

SupraCorwin

Shadow
Oct 14, 2008
Washington
My car does the same thing and it is infinatly more noticable with the targa off. All of my bars appear to be unbent, i havn't looked into the bushings yet.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Bump, the stabilizer bar on the driver side has been replaced, car still has a slight sway to the right over bumps but not as serious as before, what else should i check for before getting an alignment on all four wheels?

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
modmonster2008;1724807 said:
Hey, I picked up this 89 Turbo targa a few weeks ago and I noticed something when i go over a bump or so. Specifically when the road is bumpy the rear end of the car feels like its vibrating and rattling a lot like its going to fall apart, as well as when the rear driver side wheel goes over a bump the whole rear end feels like it swerves while the front end of the car is still straight..? The suspension does not sound blown, subframe does not look cracked or damaged in any way, what should I look for that can be causing this? The TSRM doesnt seem to be showing any detail in the rear end swerving over a bump. Let me know guys, thanks!

when my rear end was wiggly and stuff, i looked and found out my rear subframe was cracked in 3 places......2011-05-18 17.26.05_Discovery Bay_California_US.jpg

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
hvyman;1725028 said:
I would replace that and see.

I'd also retorque the subframe bushing. That's the first thing I do when I get a car.
Iirc there either 95ftlbs or 195 ftlbs. But the term will have the spec. On my phone or I'd look an I'm lazy.

That is interesting ,I could not find any specific torque specs these bushings in the TSRM. In which section did you find these?