rear subframe difference?

QuebecmkIII

Jan 27, 2009
quebec
Does the 86.5 to the 91 have the same rear subframe?
Can I fit a 88 on a 89?
I tryed the search option without response...

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
The pre-89s seem to be more prone to cracking (at least in the turbo models). If you are going to use an earlier one, search for where they commonly crack and maybe have it welded/reinforced prior to installing. Other than that, they are interchangeable (AFAIK).

QuebecmkIII

Jan 27, 2009
quebec
Satan;1645259 said:
The pre-89s seem to be more prone to cracking (at least in the turbo models). If you are going to use an earlier one, search for where they commonly crack and maybe have it welded/reinforced prior to installing. Other than that, they are interchangeable (AFAIK).

My 89 have cracked so if the pre 89 are more prone to crack I think that is an important problem like '' torque your headgasket and check your subframe''!! lol
thank

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
They all crack. It would be better to spend the money in to welding and bracing your 89 subframe than buying a another used one.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Someone did pretty much a guide to reinforcing and stitch welding the rear subframe, I remember reading it sometime ago on here I havent managed to find it since. If anyone knows of it and could post a link it would be much appreciated.

QuebecmkIII

Jan 27, 2009
quebec
hvyman;1645296 said:
They all crack. It would be better to spend the money in to welding and bracing your 89 subframe than buying a another used one.

:: hommer ::dhooo, I have buy a new one and get it sunblasted today,
have known that before :kickinthenuts:lol

Last edited:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Here are some pics of when I revamped my rear subframe. The last pic is as it rests now, as I haven't begun reassembling the car. Bryan here (slow66) on the forum did all the welding:

here's another update, finally! i worked on the rear subframe today, got it completely stripped and ready for sandblasting. i also discovered (though, not difficult) a huge crack going right through the subframe over the differential. yes, it's ALL THE WAY through! yikes! pics tell all:

first, and most importantly, my helper! ;):

the subframe removed from the car:

quick view of the center section, see anything interesting?

incase you didn't notice:

a bit closer:

the other side of the same crack- it goes all the way through the subframe!

axle removed:

and the other:

what happens when you twist the subframe with the weight of the diff still in there:

LSD removed:

LSD (it's a 4.3):

another pic of what happens when you stress that crack! yikes!

for some reason, i neglected to take a pic of the stripped subframe, so here's one from my cameraphone that i sent my friend to show him my progress- sorry for the crappy quality, i'll get a higher res. shot when i work on the 'bucket again!

stripped subframe:

keep in mind that i have nylon subframe spacers from BIC, and nylon upper/lower bushings for the control arms as well. :) i'll make sure to take pics of them, as well as post pics when i install them.

Bryan's house:
alright, here's a crap-ton of pics! all clickable thumbnails!

'blasted subframe in very light primer to prevent lots of rust:

Bryan starting his magic:

grinding of the wicked crack i had going on. (see previous pics for reference)

Bryan started to tig weld it. ran out of mig gas, which we later went and picked up from a buddy of his. thanks, friend!

Crack all welded up and ground down. ready for some plate steel now!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around

first piece tacked in place:

lunchtime! white pizza with garlic chicken and broccoli. it was delicious!

my "i'm stalking bryan" pic. haha!

welded some corners in. top and bottoms of these are welded. hooray for support!

shaeff saying: FUCK YOU SUBFRAME! i DARE you to break again! (this was in no way, shape, or form directed at bryan, who's welding in the background!)

this is leftover roll cage tubing from bryan's roll cage in the dragster i'm sure you all have seen pics of. (and pics do it absolutely NO justice!) now my subframe is good for six seconds. lol.

New RK polys are in, and the subframe is ready to be put back together. Now if only the Toyota dealership would get my parts in! Haha.

Edit: for other bits and pieces I didn't feel like copy/pasting, the subframe overhaul starts at post #59 in my old overhaul thread: http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...te-7-12-09-White-car-stripped-for-paint/page2