Rear sub-frame and diff questions.

NavySupra

Sep 30, 2005
Langley, BC, Canada
Unfortuantly I had to choose between my supra and my grandpa's car. My grandpa's car won.

This is a project of a huge scale, at least it seems that way in the planning phases. I have a 1956 Chevy Bel-Air convertable that I'm converting to a LBZ duramax (350hp, 650ft.lbs) and will be using the 6 speed Allison automatic.

Extensive modifications to the chassis will be needed to fit this combination in the car. My current plan is to use the mkIII rear subframe and obviously the IRS. I want to go twin turbo to get the right exhaust note, so I wouldn't mind turning it up a little.

My question is, in your opinion what is the maximum torque the diff and axels can take? I'm hoping to keep the total vehicle weight under 5500lbs but I don't know if that is possible or what the weight balance will be.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Never heard of a Mk3 axle breaking.

On my last engine I was making 1154 Nm of torque and never tore up a G series diff.

Short of a balls to the wall drag launch on sticky tires I don't think you'll have an issue.

NavySupra

Sep 30, 2005
Langley, BC, Canada
jawsgear;1103461 said:
Wait so you want to put the supra subframe and diff in the Bel Air???????:nono:

That is correct along with a turbodiesel v8. New suspension up front, though I have to fit the dmax before I decide what. Disc brakes all around.

The track width stock on the mkIII is within a single milimeter of the stock chevy diff. Lots of room to fit wide wheels in there

jawsgear

Undergoing Construction
Jan 29, 2006
Sactown
www.jawsgear.com
NavySupra;1103475 said:
That is correct along with a turbodiesel v8. New suspension up front, though I have to fit the dmax before I decide what. Disc brakes all around.

The track width stock on the mkIII is within a single milimeter of the stock chevy diff. Lots of room to fit wide wheels in there

No offense but that has got to be the dumbest idea I have ever heard of. By the time you mod that shit to fit in there you could have a real nice differential in there like a 12 bolt or a 9". AND it will also hold up to the abuse this car is obviously gonna see with that motor and trans combo.

Jeff

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
^ GO DIFF MASTER GO!!

Just wondering.. but why do you want to use Mk3 rear sub frame, and also will it be worth the hassle?

NavySupra

Sep 30, 2005
Langley, BC, Canada
Major reason I want to use it, is because I have a complete subframe laying around. Anyone can bolt in a 12 bolt with discs, or buy a ford 9" kit for the 56.

Mostly I need the challenge, I put a 12valve cummins in my ford and that turned out to be pretty easy.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
how is that subframe looking though?

Might want to reinforce any part of the subframe that is looking weak. With the age it will be too!

As for the MKIII diff. As IJ. stated. I have not heard of anyone grenading the rear end of this car. The torsen based diff yes but the clutch pack one. Nope.

NavySupra

Sep 30, 2005
Langley, BC, Canada
figgie;1103852 said:
how is that subframe looking though?

Might want to reinforce any part of the subframe that is looking weak. With the age it will be too!

As for the MKIII diff. As IJ. stated. I have not heard of anyone grenading the rear end of this car. The torsen based diff yes but the clutch pack one. Nope.

Yes the subframe will be massively reinforced to support the extra weight and torque. The diff will be rebuilt as well to be on the safe side. I think it's a 3.53 right now but I might try and get something closer to 3.

I'm shooting for 500hp, 1000ft.lbs though might push it to 1200

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
NavySupra;1103858 said:
Yes the subframe will be massively reinforced to support the extra weight and torque. The diff will be rebuilt as well to be on the safe side. I think it's a 3.53 right now but I might try and get something closer to 3.

Can not be a 3.53

supra's never came with that.

it was either

4.1 (N/A)
3.9 (Turbo up to 88)
3.7 (89+ turbo)

3.5 Only came in the Toyota 4 Runner and I have not heard of anyone doing a successful swap as of yet.

So tread new ground and do the swap! ;)

jawsgear

Undergoing Construction
Jan 29, 2006
Sactown
www.jawsgear.com
NavySupra;1103858 said:

I doubt it is a 3.53 ratio. Show me what MK3 has ever had a diesel motor with an allison trans behind it and lets see how long that diff held up. hahahaha:biglaugh:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
jawsgear;1103882 said:
I doubt it is a 3.53 ratio. Show me what MK3 has ever had a diesel motor with an allison trans behind it and lets see how long that diff held up. hahahaha:biglaugh:

weakest link will be the first to go.

at that power level.

Smoke show for the tires.

Change them to slicks.

Thrust washer in the R154 is next.

after that, the driveshaft and one that is addressed. Perhaps then, will the diff give the ghost up. On street tires. All smoke.

NavySupra

Sep 30, 2005
Langley, BC, Canada
jawsgear;1103882 said:

I don't always know the correct numbers and terms.

Well in about 4 to 5 years when the car is complete I'll find out the limits! I'm going to try and keep the tires as the weak link. 255 to 275ish wide. Something that will brake loose and make lots of smoke.

Primary roll as a road trip car, but some drag racing and dyno pulls. Might even try road coarses if the car ends up really stable.