rear seat delete kit

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
prism1;1006921 said:
i personally dont like the rear seat delete. i dont see the point its not that mich wieght and imo it looks nic and clean with the seats there. if you dont want anyone back there throw in a harness bar or something. just my own little rant.

I agree that the back seats look fine, but my issue is that my battery has been relocated to the former location of my back seat. In addition to that, I used the stock upper brackets to make a harness/strut tower bar of sorts, so my seats had to be folded down

I'll probably end up making something, though. I'm wierd like that.

kdezines

Apr 28, 2008
az
hey guys, I have been warned from the administrators so if you have any questions, please contact me directly, not through the forum. I did not start the thread, I was answering questions about the kit.

Thanks Keith

Amontgomery

not so sad 10psi
Apr 1, 2008
Cleveland, MS
Whats keeping someone from making it from fiberglass/carbon fiber?

I was thinking of doing it in my MKIV a few years back. Fill the rear with expanding foam or floral foam. Then shave it into the shape that you like. Cover in aluminum foil. Lay fiberglass or cf cloth impregnated with resin. use Primer filler and sand until it is smooth. Of course you would need to pull the foam out of the back of the car before you started with the cloth and resin but the idea is the same. You could even have it completely covered so you could put velcro on the bottom and where the seat was so you just set it in place.

Amontgomery

not so sad 10psi
Apr 1, 2008
Cleveland, MS
You could always paint to match your interior. Thats what I am thinking for my MKIII, just have it shaved using the same general shapes the interior so it doesn't look out of place and paint it to match so it looks stock.

Amontgomery

not so sad 10psi
Apr 1, 2008
Cleveland, MS
I may see about doing mine during the summer as it would only cost the time to do it and not a whole lot of money involved. If it turns out decent I'll post pics.

kdezines

Apr 28, 2008
az
the only problem with doing it in fiberglass and /or carbon fiber is the extreme cost of the material. unless you are a hood manufacturer where the supplys for the fiberglass are minimal, then the cost of the material alone would be about 200.00-300.00 for glass and god knows how much for carbon fiber. there is a kit available for the mustangs made from fiberglass and it is 300.00 uncovered and only is the seat area and does not include the hatch area, doesnt have access doors, and the space it covers is wasted.

Amontgomery

not so sad 10psi
Apr 1, 2008
Cleveland, MS
What I would be doing would not be a huge box area. I would have it flow from the towers down in a sweep into the floor area and have the trans tunnel cut out. But keeping with original lines of the interior.

And it wouldn't have to be usable space. I want it to be more sporty, I am not looking for room to put baggage and lumber.

I also thought of another way, it sounds heavier than fiberglass and a little goofy but It could work. You know Rhinolining? The spray in bedliner stuff. Have the blocks coated in something that it will stick to and have it sprayed really thick. Leave the foam inside for support and just paint it or have it mixed to the color of your interior. Would be much cheaper but would have to be done away from a home workshop.

Last edited: