Rear quarter glass?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i got an estimate from an auto glass guy and he said itd be a shitload of money if he had to find it around here. there are no supras within a 2 hr drive in any junkyards. also the curvature would make it hard to find a generic replacement part.

however, ive seen them on here for $20 plus shipping, and installation shouldnt be too much.

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
ild just looking to haveing a lexen(i think thats whats its call) replacement made lighter and less likly to shatter

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
you could make a lexan one pretty easy if you got 1/8" or so and screwed it in with pan head screws. just be sure to seal it with window sealant before you put the screws in, the lexan should flex and twist enough to conform to the space.

but im not quite sure it's street legal and itd make it a hell of a lot easier to break in.

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
I agree way easier to find a replacement here. Its easy to change out as well just need to pull the inside/outside trim and I believe there are 3 nuts that hold that piece of glass on. After the nuts are off just push!! You will need to reseal the window but thats easy enough...:icon_bigg

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
I dont know if he has it left but try Kwnate!!!! He has a car he is parting, and he is top notch to buy from....

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
Clip said:
you could make a lexan one pretty easy if you got 1/8" or so and screwed it in with pan head screws. just be sure to seal it with window sealant before you put the screws in, the lexan should flex and twist enough to conform to the space.

but im not quite sure it's street legal and itd make it a hell of a lot easier to break in.
i was thinking geting a little thicker pieace as for street legal i dont know

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
The glass itself is easy to change. Just follow the TSRM. The thing that sucks is that you have to take most of the interior out of the back of the car to do it.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Clip said:

those windows hardly weigh anything - lexan would be a waste of time and it would look like shit.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
The only real gain by putting lexan in place of a window would the front and/or rear glass. I would personally keep the rear glass in though as you need the weight in the back more than you do in the front.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
adampecush said:
those windows hardly weigh anything - lexan would be a waste of time and it would look like shit.

thats why i wouldnt do it, and pointed out some of the flaws of the lexan route

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
i have one and i'll toss in some butyl tape to seal it back up.it will come out of this car.notice my work van,read the side:)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

bigal0043

Jun 29, 2005
Plattsburgh,NY
www.mk3supra.net
i had my supra in one of those tents for the winter and we got a huge snow storm and it collapsed the tent, luckily for me the only damage was the quarter window which got shattered. I ordered a new one from tubbie, Thanks tubbie

anyway is this something i can do myself without alot of tools? Do i just need the piano wire for uninstalling? Where do i get a new seal from?

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
It's not hard. Just follow the TSRM. If the old window is broken, you really don't even need the piano wire. You can get the butyl tape to seal it up from an autoglass place or even some autobody stores. I got mine from CarQuest.