Rear OEM Brake Questions? ---2 (updated w/photo's)

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
So yesterday I tore down my rear calipers to sandblast and recoat in a satin black, and I happened to notice that the left and right have different sized pistons (and rubber) but the castings look to be the same size..

1/2 of the casting #'s match each other.... and one has 3 dimple marks near the outeredge where the pads go the other is smooth...

I purchased these of a 1992 rhd turboR... and I think one was changed possibly to a north american early caliper or some other description..

Question #1; without pics -- should I be concerned about un-even braking due to slightly different caliper pistons?

Question #2; Parking brake -- the adjuster that have the forks on either end and has 1 threaded fork which ways are they supposed to spin to increase the distance (they are left hand thread and right - they are different)

^I've never had to fuss with drum brakes before (parking) and didn't give it much thought before I tore it down and sandblasted/recoated them..

thanks in advance

Last edited:

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
15623377_large.jpg

^notice the lack of dimples on the fingers on the left caliper (shown on right) this is the 92 JDM unit

15623376_large.jpg

^most of the stampings/casting #'s are the same

15623374_large.jpg

^here is where it gets concerning..

15623373_large.jpg

^left caliper (92 JDM) rough measurement

15623372_large.jpg

^right caliper rough measurement

15623371_large.jpg

^red powdercoat... all new OEM hardware/cables.....
I installed the adjusters so that turning them downwards will increase the size of them....
is this the correct orientation?

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
Also the red 92 caliper - had the outer pad area machined vs. the other was just cast... also the horseshoe shaped window was machined (photo 1) vs cast...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Larger one might be because of a rebuild kit. That part is necked down for the seal, the actual piston size is larger than that (you'd have to disassemble them to know what I mean...)

spooln30

Sep 28, 2006
milwaukee,WI
I'd find another one to match the larger piston caliper. One thing that may happen is if you do any road racing or high speed driving you will get uneven braking in the rear. It's hard to say how much it will affect the braking but its something I def would change.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
It doesn't necessarily appear that any uneven wear will be that drastic. If I was just street driving (daily commute), I would not worry about it. If you're doin' tack/roadracing, wouldn't U be changing to track pads for those events? Also, the cosmetic appearance is negligible, unless someone really wants to scrutinize.

I'd use as-is, until such time as I needed a rear-brake-upgrade anyways. If you're really anal, stock calipers can be had very cheap.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Measure the size of the hole in the caliper itself, not the piston. Bet it's the same. Like I said, that area is smaller than the actual piston because of the dust boot and probably has a rebuild kit in it (looks cleaner to me). Look at the way the piston looks in this diagram to see what I mean (pic is of the front calipers, but you get the idea)

MCG261A.gif