rear mudflap/mudguard

marc3

canadian blood
Jul 19, 2006
quebec,canada
on my 88, the rear mudflap (black piece behind rear wheel) have these metal strips integrated in the piece(like 88 body moldings)that keep the piece molded to the rear bumper curve. these are now rusted out,and need replacing/upgrading.
now i was wondering if the 89+ cars solved this issue(like the body mouldings)by replacing the metal strip/insert by a plastic one.
i will be buying new ones ,so if the 89+ are improved , i would go this way.
... or maybe rear add-ons :icon_bigg

marc3

canadian blood
Jul 19, 2006
quebec,canada
just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, the metal strip would be where the m5 bolts go through. 3 bolts along side the bumper, and 2 under. and i'm NOT talking about the metal strips that hold with small rivets on the bumper.

i 'll to toyota later and see if the part # are the same or not!
thanks guys for the in put. i'll confirm later about the part #

reydio

Supramania Contributor
Oct 3, 2008
Pearl City
I think the pre89's have the metal strip on them and they tend to rust. This includes the side moldings also. 89 and up are without the metal strip. The front mudguards are discontinued, I don't know about the rear. The only way to really get a nice look is getting an aftermarket side skirts.

marc3

canadian blood
Jul 19, 2006
quebec,canada
reydio;1168129 said:
The only way to really get a nice look is getting an aftermarket side skirts.
what ? where do sideskirts come into play here?
the part i'm talking about is on the rear bumper!

reydio

Supramania Contributor
Oct 3, 2008
Pearl City
marc3;1168170 said:
what ? where do sideskirts come into play here?
the part i'm talking about is on the rear bumper!

My bad, I meant if the front mudguards go bad and if you can't find a replacement, sideskirts would be a way to go.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
they do have metal in them. All that was left of the framework from the mudflaps on my 89 was some rusted metal.

edit: same part number for all the years as well.