rear end wander

gatorm

Jul 12, 2011
Centerville, Tn
When I let off the clutch and accelerate it feels like the rear end yaws to one side pretty bad. Also does it when I hit bumps I just got the car so I haven't driven it before now.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
pulling case by the fallowing

bad camber and or bad toe

the stock rear knuckle has plastic swivel bushing for the toe arm these can crack and get very loose an case pulling

but still check everything with pry bar

but the most common is sticking dragging rear brake caliper

Last edited:

gatorm

Jul 12, 2011
Centerville, Tn
Thanks guys. The bushing are probably shot going by what I found on the front end. Will also check the brakes because it seems hard to push also. Not that I've had to push it or anything HAHAHAHA!!!!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Jack the car up and try to spin the rear wheels (front too, could cause a wander, but you'd probably notice that in the steering). Make sure the car is in neutral...

Also, something to consider, sometimes it's the stupidly simple things, like tire pressure. I thought my subframe had loosened itself up somehow, ended up being about 12psi low in one rear tire was causing all the funny feelings. ;)

gatorm

Jul 12, 2011
Centerville, Tn
Its not the brakes. I compressed the calipers and they move great. Bled the brakes while I was there and they are releasing fine (tires turn ok). Tires are not great at all but this is pretty bad actually. I am putting a set of tires on it tomorrow so we'll see if that does the trick but I doubt it. Pressure is where it should be. Havent wrestled with the suspension back there yet but I think thats the next move.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
easy test is to go for drive and just do hand warmth test on your rear tire's, if one is warmer then the other then you have an aliment issue leading to tire scrub

ps you can have sticking rear brake that moves fine cold

again warmth test never fails after a drive and touch each rim in the centre closest to the lugs as ya can

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
IJ.;1805755 said:
No "plastic" bushes in my Mk3 nor any I've worked on, the Sphericals are Steel but can be destroyed if they've been tightened unloaded then put back on the ground...

oops sorry it's not the toe arm it's the lower camber link/arm

this one has to swivel or the bushing would bind on any sort of alignment and destroy it's self. I have replaced them before if you pull back the rubber boot you will see it has plastic knuckle and they can get loose or damaged over time (wheel hop kills them)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

plus it's the only bushing never offer in any bushing kit not event he older rk kit

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
not here they just steel inner race incased in a plastic ball in race

much like cheep ball joint

nagard less these ware out and can cause alot of play

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Here they're steel ball with a plastic/teflon liner like a heim joint and the ball has a pin that limits rotation this is the part that fails, never seen them with a plastic ball....

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
it could bee it's bena like that but it's 2 years since I replaced one could be plastic could not bed

just replaced so many bushing like this on other cars some are down right scary

ever see ford trucks lower loaded ball joint

sketchy

gatorm

Jul 12, 2011
Centerville, Tn
Just to update all you curious readers, it was the toe in the rear. I put the new tires on today and when I finished mounting them I got behind the car and just eye-balled the car from the rear. It was very obvious that the right rear tire was trying to turn left. I did a very scientific alignment :D and its much better now. Yes, before you all tell me, I will be getting a 'professional' alignment done on the car very soon. But hey, it drives great now HEHEHEHE!!!!!

gatorm

Jul 12, 2011
Centerville, Tn
Yes, Nash I bought a '95 Ford F-350 ton flatbed once and when I got it home I was scared to death that I had just driven it home LOL
The ball joints, tie rods, everything were literally falling out of it. Great truck though after I went through the entire suspension. Uhhh, the entire 'everything'. I joke still about that truck, if it had fluid in it, it leaked. coolant, oil, front axle, rear axle, trans, transfer, fuel everything :D. Everybody wondered why I would buy one like that but if you want a older powerstroke with 4wd and 5-speed you cant be picky. They are very hard to come by. Love the 7.3 Powerstroke though......great motor. Sold it and now have a '99 F-250 SuperDuty Ext cab 6-speed with 7.3 and love it even more. And I make my own fuel for it

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
ahhhh hear ya.... but I here pro's and con's form the stone age 12 valve and the newer cumins to the dura crap to the power masturbation stroke

I still find it funny that dodge has a ford motor in there truck hahahaha

ps about your toe if one side is out it's rather easy to do in your drive way as long as the other one is proper

and can be fix

step one: mark a chunk of tread on your tire and mark the other rear tire as well on the corresponding tread lug on the forword to the door

step 2: take tape measurer it from tire to tire (note how high you are measher ment mark is of the ground as well)

step 3: push back the car tell you mark is at the same hight as last time but now facing the rear of the car

step 4: measurement should be the same front to rear to give you equale toe repeat step 2 and 3 tell your done

warning this will only work if the other tire is toe right..... other wise it can get very annoying and might as well go to an aliment shop

because the rule of aliment is caster,camber and toe

good luck

Last edited:

gatorm

Jul 12, 2011
Centerville, Tn
No guarantees either one was straight on this car from what I've found with it so far. I did just what you said though, basically. Eyeballed the best side for straight by looking down the side and by looking down from above, then measured from there the other side. Its not what I would call a computer alignment but it did solve the problem.