Rear end noise and possible compressor surge?

stonecoretx

Dec 21, 2009
Texas
I noticed that my Mk3 is making a strange noise and i'm not sure what it is. maybe someone has any ideas.
the noise only happens when coasting to a stop and at low speeds in first gear.
it sounds like a clunk everytime the wheel makes a full rotation but stops when under load.
maybe a dry driveshaft or warped brake rotor, someone said maybe a bad caliper? wheel bearing?
you can almost feel the clunk throughout the car but it goes away under load. happens the most when i take it out of gear and coast to a light or low speed pull. i checked my differential and everything seemed to check out.
my differential is filled with a bluish-green gear oil. looks like redline lsd gear oil?

another thing is I think I have compessor surge and i'm worried this is bad for the compressor and the turbo itself. almost everytime I shift with boost I hear a "cha,cha,cha" sound as if it had a sequential bov but I have the stock toyota bov. It started after I upgraded the air intake filter and installed a spearco replica FMIC.
Is it pulling in to much air? does the computer not compensate for increased air flow?
if this is the case do i need to get a aftermarket bov or bypass valve?

7mslider

Dec 20, 2009
shelbyville
not sure on the noise when coasting, hard to say without actually hearing it. as far as the "compressor surge", i doubt it. if the motor is pretty much stock you wouldn't be pushing the turbo enough for it. when i upgraded my intake it made the bypass valve alot more audible. the stock valve will sound like a sequential bov, i know mine did. again it's hard to tell you exactly without hearing it