Rear bumper paint oxidization.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
Ive got what looks like the rear bumper having an oxidation occuring on the paint. Is the bumper painted with a one stage paint? Or is this the clear coat failing? Anyone corrected this paint with something less drastic than a repaint?...car is an 87...

Supraflymk3

Supraman
Dec 17, 2005
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
Supras came with base coat clear coat. so whats happened to your car is your clearcoat is oxidized. you could try buffing it out by starting with wetsanding it with 2000 grit sandpaper then get a buffer and some buffing compound and buff it out. if that doesn't work you'll need it repainted.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
I thought It was too, my nose is starting to do that. However this is not what the rear looks like. The rear is just an overall dull like a one stage paint would become. If I were to remove the oxidation with a Da or wetsand, would the paint be in a good enough condition to hold a clear coat, or will a new base need to be applied?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Certain colors are single stage, others are bc/cc. I was at an auto paint supply store the other day looking at Dupont paint chips for my '91 MKIII. I noticed they notated that some of the colors were originally single stage, and others were 2 stage. This was for a 1991 Toyota Supra specific model.
Of course you can pic a color that was single stage from the factory and have them mix it in 2 stage form. My white was single stage. I think the red was too. That teal, silver, and some others were bc/cc.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I have oxidization all over the car, a while back I decided to try and fight back. I spent an entire weekend polishing for a good 16 hours total and it turned out awesome. All the oxidization was gone and the car had a shine too it! I spent the next few days waxing it like crazy and it looked dam good. I washed and waxed it every few weeks and it held the results for like 3 months.

Then, it reverted right back to its old oxidized self. I was mad, I thought I had it beat and was keeping it protected with quality wax. I asked about going through the polish stage again and bring the paint back and then clearing it and everyone said it was a horrible idea. Some people said polish, wet sand just enough to get the clear to stick might work but still not likely. Supposedly the oxidization will come back under the clear and make it much worse to deal with then.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
Well I know its not a 2 stage, because my nose header has the signs of the CC failing:
(Dirty car)
p1600857_1.jpg

However the rear looks like:
p1600857_2.jpg

p1600857_3.jpg

What options do I have?
As was stated a CC on top of the buffing wont help, So how close of a match will a one stage paint be?
Can a 1 stage be used on the header that has the CC failure in terms of color and shine matching?

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
The solid colors were single stage paints from the factory, red, black, white, etc. The metallics, etc. were base coat/clear coat.

First use the clay bar, then wax your car by hand using all 3 steps, yes it's alot of work, will take a full day or more, but your paint will look amazing. $30-$40 total, GUARANTEED RESULTS.

p93569z.jpg

p84691b.jpg
p84688b.jpg
p84689b.jpg

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
^+1.

I use the first step to get all the stains off my white paint and its gets everything and some more.

turbotyrant

Aug 6, 2010
ohio
my car looked like a dull red when i purchashed the car the told me just to wax the car i went and bought color restorer x meguiars washed it rubbed it on and it shines some type of cc conditioner pulled alot of nasty stuff out of the cc