Rear Armrest Boxes

pres6

Aug 12, 2007
Richardson, TX
anyone have any interest in a set of these?
i had trouble with the vynil on this first one, but i have a new method that seems to work better...
i am building a couple of sets, if there is any interest i might start building them for whoever wants them...
speak up!

these are made for a big set of 6.5", almost 4" of mount depth...

Attachments

• image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 141
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 121

pres6

Aug 12, 2007
Richardson, TX
all i have is the one set of prototypes, i have to work on the edge by the door, just trim it a little different to make it 100% seemless.

they have not been placed into a running car yet, but i just got them done last week, and my car has been stored in a million pieces so its not a good guinea pig.
they are made from wood and fiberglass, with a vynil cover, i can do any color (i am very familiar with the MKIII interior choices) or carpet, or prep for paint,
they are a direct replacement for the panel that normally goes there.
they are sealed because they are meant for midrange.

i am working on front door panels for larger speakers, i am having issues making them fit without having to do any cutting on the panel... so for now i am making a rig to press an entire door panel with the new locations in the lower sections.

or, i can make a retrofit piece for the stock 4" space, i am undecided, also i am short a passenger door panel, so its hard to work on those just yet...

my guess on the price....100$??

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
pres6 said:
all i have is the one set of prototypes, i have to work on the edge by the door, just trim it a little different to make it 100% seemless.

they have not been placed into a running car yet, but i just got them done last week, and my car has been stored in a million pieces so its not a good guinea pig.
they are made from wood and fiberglass, with a vynil cover, i can do any color (i am very familiar with the MKIII interior choices) or carpet, or prep for paint,
they are a direct replacement for the panel that normally goes there.
they are sealed because they are meant for midrange.

i am working on front door panels for larger speakers, i am having issues making them fit without having to do any cutting on the panel... so for now i am making a rig to press an entire door panel with the new locations in the lower sections.

or, i can make a retrofit piece for the stock 4" space, i am undecided, also i am short a passenger door panel, so its hard to work on those just yet...

my guess on the price....100$??

I would pay 100 for the fronts. If you ever get em made PM me. I tried fiberglass but just couldn't get them to fit right.

pres6

Aug 12, 2007
Richardson, TX
would you be willing to cut the panel to make them fit? it would not be visible,
you would have to cut out from behind the carpeted at the bottom of the door.

or would the ones that would fit over the 4" locations be better?

fiberglass is tricky and takes some practice, sticks to absolutely everything!!

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
pres6 said:
would you be willing to cut the panel to make them fit? it would not be visible,
you would have to cut out from behind the carpeted at the bottom of the door.

or would the ones that would fit over the 4" locations be better?

fiberglass is tricky and takes some practice, sticks to absolutely everything!!

Meh.. I'm trying to keep the stock look. Probally just the retrofit of the stock enclosures would be okay as long as they were sealed well.

pres6

Aug 12, 2007
Richardson, TX
its not worth doing if its not done right,
i will come up with 2 different designs, look for something this saturday...maybe night

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
pres6 said:
its not worth doing if its not done right,
i will come up with 2 different designs, look for something this saturday...maybe night

I just modified mine to accept a 6.5 but the glassing was kinda shitty and the speaker hits the pannel becase it was at too great of an angle. I'll try to get pics up.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
OfnaRcR4 said:
I just modified mine to accept a 6.5 but the glassing was kinda shitty and the speaker hits the pannel becase it was at too great of an angle. I'll try to get pics up.

Here we go. Gotta remake them so thats why their not sanded or anything.

dscf1311ie7.jpg

dscf1316gn2.jpg

BTW, i had to cut into the speaker pods pretty good.

pres6

Aug 12, 2007
Richardson, TX
i have not had any spare time lately, illness in the family.... you are on the right track, but your using whats called "chop mat" for your first coat you should use panty hose, it makes the forms alot cleaner.
i will work on the doors this week and hopefully get something done on them.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
pres6 said:
i have not had any spare time lately, illness in the family.... you are on the right track, but your using whats called "chop mat" for your first coat you should use panty hose, it makes the forms alot cleaner.
i will work on the doors this week and hopefully get something done on them.

Yeah, i understand.
BTW, i used an old shirt for my first layer, then mat.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
With regards to the original post, are you making the entire molded trim panel, or just the part where the speaker mounts?

To get that panel out, do you have to remove the interior trim in the hatch as well? Just trying to gauge the level of effort to make this swap.

pres6

Aug 12, 2007
Richardson, TX
just the carpeted / leather piece that inserts into the larger panel...that make sense? they can be affixed without removing the panel.

pres6

Aug 12, 2007
Richardson, TX
just metal tabs that are bent over the back of the panel. alot easier that it should be...
the only hard part (not really hard at all) is getting the wire through the panel and routed to the right place with the main panel on tho.... nothing a coat hanger could not conquer...