Really Newb Question about 02

supersupramk3

average joe
Mar 29, 2009
sacramento, CA
My 89T was throwing a 21 code so I salvaged an o2 sensor off a parts car 90t. (a 3 wire to be specific) As stated in the TSRM, I checked the resistance and it was within the specs 3-3.6 ohms stating it was still good. Question: If i splice and extend the wires then solder and heat shrink tube them will it still be okay. I need to extend them because my 02 bung is further down the 3" elbow than a stock. I have heard that once you cut the wires, the insulating jacket of the wires will be ruined and give you false readings thus giving you CEL also. Any info and suggestions of how to go about this problem will be appreciated. Also if you guys can recommend a 02 sensor (3 wire) brand, type, make, model....in case I cant extend them.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
That's not really a noob question because I'm willing to bet a lot of people don't know many sensors use one of the wires as a path for the ambient O2 reference. However that's not the case with the Denso sensors used on these cars. Just to be sure though examine the mid to upper portion of the sensor for a few small holes located around it's circumference. On Densos they're usually white or grey, caused by the color of the ceramic behind them.

That said used sensors aren't the best idea (especially for a California car) but hey, you may have gotten lucky...

supersupramk3

average joe
Mar 29, 2009
sacramento, CA
well, im trying to save a couple of bucks by doing this. I have searched around in a couple of other forums and nothing about this topic pops up. If nobody knows I might just have to end up trying it. But anyways which aftermarket 3 wire 02 sensors are you guys using? (need possibly part #'s)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
What part of my post didn't you understand? Just extend the wires and be done with it. If it doesn't work it'll be because the sensor was bad anyway. If it were me I'd test it before even putting it on the car...

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
If you're that worried about cutting into the insulator jacket on the sensor wire,then just extend the wire on the harness side(before the plug/connector.)