"real" restoration

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
dpack138;1240642 said:
it's not cool cuz it's so "fast"....silly!....it's cool cuz it's original...they're are not many left....and someday that will be more "classic" than today....of course speed is awesome....but so is classic and original...like a virgin...wait what are we talking about again?

Actually I think the majority that are still around actually are still all original. The ones I see on the road rarely have more than basic mods like intake and exhaust, and there are TONS not on the road :icon_razz

In either case, I agree completely with restomod being a far better choice. Just like with muscle cars, an all original MkIII Supra leaves MUCH to be desired. There are many minute (or not so minute) details of the MkIII that need attention, which is partially why this crowd is looked down on by others.

Still, it is an incredible car that is so far underrated, and to this day, my Supra remains the most comfortable and best all around cruiser I've ever been in.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Orion ZyGarian;1241079 said:
There are many minute (or not so minute) details of the MkIII that need attention, which is partially why this crowd is looked down on by others.

No, the MKIII Supra is frowned upon because of the owners, not because of the actual car. With the majority's pockets about as deep as a kiddie pool, it's no wonder. :nono:

(And no, I'm not implying that MKIII owners are all broke, I'm implying that they either can't afford to own a MKIII, or just plain cheap out on things rather than saving for a quality product.) Or that when something breaks, it's blamed on the car. Let me jump on your girlfriend and ride her hard for 20 years and beat the piss out of her. Now try to tell me that she'll be the same as the day she turned 18...

This about covers it:
Supracentral said:
However I still stand by my statement that 99 times out of 100, the weak link in the MKIII is the owner.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
shaeff;1241111 said:
No, the MKIII Supra is frowned upon because of the owners, not because of the actual car. With the majority's pockets about as deep as a kiddie pool, it's no wonder. :nono:

(And no, I'm not implying that MKIII owners are all broke, I'm implying that they either can't afford to own a MKIII, or just plain cheap out on things rather than saving for a quality product.) Or that when something breaks, it's blamed on the car. Let me jump on your girlfriend and ride her hard for 20 years and beat the piss out of her. Now try to tell me that she'll be the same as the day she turned 18...

This about covers it:

This is only partly true. Yes, 9/10 problems with MkIIIs can be attributed to the owners--most of which are previous owners, but from what I've seen, thats not the whole story.

Missinformation and ignorance spreads like warm butter. Because of the head gasket issue, 7Ms are the butt of many jokes in the car world. With the incredible number of MkIIIs made in the 80s (read: success), and the fact that every 7M came undertorqued, people ignore the fact that damn near every 7M lasts at least 100k before getting a BHG and make fun of it for its shortcomings.

It had an advanced oiling system that was trying out the new low pressure/high volume oil pump idea, where 8 psi at idle is expected. Unheard of, but theoretically more efficient, if not dancing on the borderline dangerous.

People dont realize that the Supra was a flagship vehicle for Toyota as well as an experimental one. It was the first Toyota in the U.S. to not have a distributor, one of the few Toyotas with a turbo over here, and in 1988, the most powerful/fastest production Japanese car ever made.

The car is also over 20 years old. At this point, its more of a collector's/classic car etc. The styling is considered by many to be outdated and ugly in this day and age, and because of the age, most assume (and are correct in assuming) there is often more work involved in bringing it up to speed than any car 10 years newer etc.

Ultimately, the cliff notes are that we know that MkIII owners are to blame, but people who dont own one dont think so and assume the car just sucks. Because of the condition you find these cars in now, its hard for people to appreciate them and not assume the worst.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Wouldn't an all original (and I mean 100% original) MkIII be slow, fat, and sloth like? Dinky 225 tires on 16" rims, brakes too small, no extra umph...

An all original supra would be exciting right up until you drove it.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
shaeff;1241223 said:
Now that, I can agree with. :) Well said.

I 3rd that motion.

btw shaeff, how's that black box working for your project?

I get 90% of my parts from the dealer and am ~70% done with my 'resto-mod'. I'm going for that 'what the factory should have done' look. A little lower, tinted windows, with about 350 rwhp.
(stem seals, ps hoses, water pump gasket/pump while i'm there, fuel pump, paint job, exhaust, a little rewiring, and seats/center console are all that hold me back)

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
87 n/a restored. Original engine has been rebuilt. Both rear quarter panels and wheel wells replaced, repainted orginal color. Spoiler was added though and sunroof. Interior completely stock.

Bought car in 1993, may sound korny but this is my dream car.

2008 002.jpg

Last edited:

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
CyFi6;1239412 said:
People always talk about how an all original like new supra is so cool...but then they drive it for a little while and realize they get bored with it very fast...

Speak for yourself. My 91 is 100% stock and except for the tires and headgasket, pretty much original. I never wanted one of these for the power, I wanted it for the ride and style. Everytime I get behind the wheel of mine I get excited. It's far better to have a nice original than some bastardized car that's been through 10 different teenage owners.
SC's quote in my sig sums it up.

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
+1 to that. To many supras have to young of owners that just want to race the hell out of them. I love the style of the car.

gtsfirefighter;1241713 said:
Speak for yourself. My 91 is 100% stock and except for the tires and headgasket, pretty much original. I never wanted one of these for the power, I wanted it for the ride and style. Everytime I get behind the wheel of mine I get excited. It's far better to have a nice original than some bastardized car that's been through 10 different teenage owners.
SC's quote in my sig sums it up.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
PCguylovesSupra;1241626 said:
87 n/a restored. Original engine has been rebuilt. Both rear quarter panels and wheel wells replaced, repainted orginal color. Spoiler was added though and sunroof. Interior completely stock.

Bought car in 1993, may sound korny but this is my dream car.

View attachment 27468

Nah, its mine too :icon_razz. People are confused when I say that, but I prefer it even to the MkIV. Dont get me wrong, I still really really want a MkIV 2J-T, but I just prefer the MkIII. My engine bay vs. the MkIV's...theres just less unnecessary stuff to complicate things etc. Its just convenient and nice.

I love my MkIII so much. The headlights, the headlight covers, the subtle hood cowl, the pre89 front, the 89+ tails, the pre89 wing, the mirrors, the rear, the side, the doors, the comfort, especially the 7M and R154...I could go on forever