Rattle/knocking from under car.

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
Hey guys I dont know if this has been discussed before, so please dont flame me for this if this is a repost. Anyway, when im driving anything over 20km/h I can hear and feel a rattle from underneath the car. It sounds like something keeps bouncing off the floor, cause I can also feel it in my heels as im driving. I thought it was my stock driveshaft because also the shaft has a new hanger bearing. I could see it was out of phase so I sent it out for a rephase and balance but the noise and the feeling of something hitting is still there.

BTW my car is a late '89 turbo R154 targa. Stock except for the clutch and the exhaust. The car has 113,000 km's which is about 68,000 miles

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
No its not so much a vibration. And no it doesnt change with engine speed, the only thing is its very consistant when going over 20 km'h also not the knock/rattle goes away or seems to be less obvious if turning right, turning left is still their. I know that discription would cause it to sould like a wheel bearing but the wheels dont have any free play.

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
Yeah turns out R/F wheel bearing has no play but excessily loud. I drove the car like this for 10,000km (6000miles) If you spin it fast enough in the air you can actually hear the clunk/thud. This is the part you can feel knocking in the car.