rattle in the turbo

supra1642

Aug 28, 2007
Michigan
hey i bought an 88 turbo supra and just took it to get the exhaust done and i noticed the car has no power when you hit the pedal (no boost) and some of the vacuum lines are not routed right. i have a silicone vacuum line kit that i'm gonna use to redo all of them. but i can hear a rattle in the turbo every time i hit the pedal and there is no shaft play at all on the turbo. but there is a nut missing on the front of the shaft. the turbo was supposedly done by www.miketurboinc.com and its supposed to be a 57 trim.

does anyone have any idea on what it could possibly be?

supra1642

Aug 28, 2007
Michigan
pics of turbo (the best i could get)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

supra1642

Aug 28, 2007
Michigan
well the turbo is still under warranty. i tried to spin the wheel and it spins but its tight. i have only driven it less than a mile and thats it. why would the fins be hitting the housing? so what should i do?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
get it repaired under warranty, but id never trust the guy to touch anything upwards of a hairdryer if it's just been rebuilt by him. fins hitting the housing could be an incorrectly sized wheel, too much shaft play (but you said you didnt feel any) or an off-center shaft i suppose.

jtran8

Supramania Contributor
Mar 29, 2007
wichita kansas
Holy turbo!:eek2:where is the nut that hold compressor wheel in place ? looks like it's missing that nut ? that's why compressor wheel came loose .

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
Take the turbo off and get that thing repaired. Then put it back on, and see what happens.

It is a good thing you haven't driven it that much. (Positive thinking here :icon_bigg)

Whoever did that turbo had to have been on something to miss a part that vital. :3d_frown:

supra1642

Aug 28, 2007
Michigan
well we'll see what happens i have to wait to take it off cuz we are getting another snow storm now hopefully it all works out.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Setheroo;924615 said:
Whoever did that turbo had to have been on something to miss a part that vital. :3d_frown:

Silence. Chances are, the builder didn't forget the nut. The nut either failed, wasn't tight, or the compressor wheel stalled for a number of reasons (foreign objects or compressor surge.) When the wheel stalls, its possible for the nut to thread itself off.

supradavenz;924650 said:
well on the high side.. fins look okay.. and nut may have fullen forward into filter or something if it made it through the turbo.. the intercooler should stop it :p

Look at the picture again, you can see where the fins are toast.

Clip;924399 said:
get it repaired under warranty, but id never trust the guy to touch anything upwards of a hairdryer if it's just been rebuilt by him. fins hitting the housing could be an incorrectly sized wheel, too much shaft play (but you said you didnt feel any) or an off-center shaft i suppose.

Not really.... could have been a number of things why the nut failed. See my post above.

supra1642;924372 said:
well the turbo is still under warranty. i tried to spin the wheel and it spins but its tight. i have only driven it less than a mile and thats it. why would the fins be hitting the housing? so what should i do?

Stop driving it. Its tight because the fins are hitting the housing due to the compressor wheel nut not securing the compressor wheel to the turbine shaft.

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
MDCmotorsports;924904 said:
Silence. Chances are, the builder didn't forget the nut. The nut either failed, wasn't tight, or the compressor wheel stalled for a number of reasons (foreign objects or compressor surge.) When the wheel stalls, its possible for the nut to thread itself off.
My apologies, never really thought about the nut backing itself out like that.

supra1642

Aug 28, 2007
Michigan
yeah i just bought it the guy before me wasn't the brightest in the world and didn't really know what he was doing. so hopefully this will all work out. the engine still sounded good and smooth. i have an intercooler and hardpipe set so i'll see when i take the intercooler off if the nuts in there. thanks for the replies especially mdc motorsports thanks for clarifying every thing.

supra1642

Aug 28, 2007
Michigan
DegreE;924886 said:
OMFG!!!

DOOD! WTF ARE YOU DOING?!

um trying to figure every thing out and what to do i just bought the car like that and like i said previously i have only driven the car less than a mile.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i'd take the turbo off (or take a few more pics for proof) and try to see how deep the nut went. afterward, i'd take the pics/turbo to the rebuilder and get it repaired under warranty, or get them to give you a new one. like everyone said, i think the nut wouldve gotten caught in the afm or the intercooler, wherever you can find it. it shouldn't have hurt much except the turbo itself, but check for more damage as you go deeper.

on second thought, make sure to give the guy a phone call and let him know what's happened before you take it off (don't want him to blame you for the nut coming off)