Rattle after boost

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
I'm getting a strange rattle when I let off the throttle from boosting. It sounds like a bunch of plastic banging together on the turbo side of the engine.
It just started last night, and I'm at work now, or I'd just tear into it.

First thing I'm checking is the IC hoses(the one from turbo->IC was loose a couple months ago and it seems to have lost some power since yesterday), just wanting to see if anyones run across something similar and can give me a head start on where to look.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
mkiiSupraMan18 said:
loose heat sheild? I have no idea....

Yeah, I was like 'WTF?????'. As soon as I get out of work I'm checking it out. And it's not metal clanging, it's more of like when you drop a bunch of pvc pipe or something. It runs and drives fine, other than not as much 'go' at full throttle.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Well, I'll report what happened when I get home. Half working linux laptop, so I may not be able to log in, but I'll report when I get to a browser.

BTW, I love your mk2. I used to have an 85 Celica, and have a friend in Alaska that has an 85 Supra. I just love that body style. If I were smart I would have rebuilt the blown 22RE I had and saved a ton of cash over buying the 95 Celica and now repairing the 87 Supra.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Well, I finally had time to get to it over the weekend.

Replaced 1 rotted IC hose, several pieces of vacuum line, line going from turbo->wastegate(cracked in two when I touched it), 3000 pipe->TB coupler, and upgraded many various clamps. I'm going to the parents tonight so I might be able to get some pics of all the new clamps/hoses.

Only thing left is some more clamps(would like to get t-bolt style for all IC pipes and finish the smaller ones off), and the accordian hose(has a huge crack).

It still makes the noise, almost like a suction/rattle. I'm thinking it's the accordian hose at this point, but won't know for sure till I get a new one.