Rant- Braided steel hose

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
funky_monkey58;956733 said:
I do the same and It works out very well.

I will agree on the frays. I have had my thumb going pretty good and looking like it was used as a pin cushion.
Wear a thimble ( or three ) from your girl's sewing kit. Only women would think to armour their fingers. :biglaugh:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I got owned the very first time I tried to assemble SS braided hose/fittings.

When I did my oil cooler setup, I got caught ONCE. I used drjonez's writeup on mkiiitech.com. It was pretty easy.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
catback;956276 said:
i dont have these on my car btw, but why do you care if other people do?
your rant makes no sense,
i personally dont like alot of things people do to their cars but it doesnt effect my life so who cares.

Because I work on thier cars for a living. Is that good enough for you?

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
Haha, haven't seen zip ties for clamps on braided yet Rich. I'm sure one will roll in tomorrow now that you've mentioned it though!

For the guy that wanted pics- here is one of my forearm after working on a Supra so equipped.
p957250_1.jpg

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
Justin727;956659 said:
That wasn't directed to you, lol it was towards chevyeater!

I will not use the electrical tape either I will let the ends fray and have him tinker around in my engine bay!

I may "accidentally" set it on fire. :sarcasm:

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
i think the worm clamp ends are ok for certain applications, like vacuum lines and water lines when it isnt really practical to change to AN fittings where its just regular clamped hoses.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
MK3Brent;957308 said:
They're expensive... once I make my final payment on them, I'll get right on that. :)

That is what I don't get. The braided line is alot more expensive than suitable "regular" hose. So, why waste the money and make it worse than it was?

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
IJ.;957317 said:
Cos they use it on Pimp My Ride yo? ;)

Is that it? I thought it had something to do with crystal meth use...

7Mboost- If you have to use braided there, drill and tap the resivoir for a male to male pipe thread to AN adapter fitting.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
no need for braided, i don't get why people spend the money when a quality rubber line will do. we don't run 1500psi of oil pressure.

except nitrous lines, that i guess is kinda necessary.

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
chevyeater;957315 said:
That is what I don't get. The braided line is alot more expensive than suitable "regular" hose. So, why waste the money and make it worse than it was?

Haha, the only hoses I don't have fittings on are the PCV hoses... That's been an on going project I never got around to finishing.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
I use the braided line for looks in this case on my ps line because the stock ones look like shit to me.

Do you think the NA ps res. is strong enough to tap metal an fittings to it? I would think it could break the plastic putting it on since your removing material from it, its not really strong as it is already.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
7Mboost;957375 said:
I use the braided line for looks in this case on my ps line because the stock ones look like shit to me.

Do you think the NA ps res. is strong enough to tap metal an fittings to it? I would think it could break the plastic putting it on since your removing material from it, its not really strong as it is already.

You should be careful tapping it with the pipe tap. Plastic has a tendancy to crack if you aren't very gentle with it. If you break it, it is a perfect excuse to get rid of the n/a jug that looks like shit too, lol! A nice polished stainless resivoir with the AN fittings welded on it would look nice.