Random RPM over 6000rpm on 1.5jz.

kilo_gulf

Feb 5, 2010
Nassau
Swapping a 1.5jz into an r33 skyline. As the car warms up there is random rpm spikes in the fuel and ignition map. After reviewing several threads with similar issues, i've improved the grounding of the ECU and added a grounding kit to the car. Ive tried changing around the pins on the crank angle sensor, but the static timing goes from zero to 17 degrees advance with the other configuration as opposed to zero with the configuration i'm running now. Could the cam angle senor be wired wrong, would that lead to the rpm errors i'm experiencing?
I've read in a thread on www.enginemanagement.com.au (http://www.enginemanagement.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1255&highlight=resistor) that electronic noise could be the problem and to adding a resistor can rectify it. Where exactly does the resistor go? On the ground or on the signal back to the ECU? Or does it go between these wires? Is it better to put it closer to the sensor or ecu?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
What EMS are you using?
If stock, is it a 1JZ or 2JZ ECU?

How is the car wired? Custom harness or stock?

I am guessing it is some kind of standalone. Are you on the stock map to run a 2JZ? There is usually shielding on the crank sensor wires back to the EMS but I have seen people wire them without any shielding and they work fine.