Rain killed this car i just bought

tercelica

Jul 26, 2006
Las Vegas
Hey guys, so i'm back in the states now, and I picked up a 1990 Supra Turbo. Been running fine up untill it rained like crazy here in las vegas. The car doesn't have an exhaust, and its running off straight downpipe. IT WASN'T ME!! I have a new downpipe on the way along with an exhaust. Also has a BOV blowing out to the atmosphere, not recirculating. But anyway, up until today the car has been good to me. till i drove into a ton of puddles of water. Anyway is there anything I should look for that could make the car have issues from water. I checked the codes, and I got: 22, 24, and 31.

I can start the car, sounds like it runs fine. but as soon as i press the gas, it bogs a bit, struggles to stay on, then dies. any ideas? Thanks in advance.

:aigo:

tercelica

Jul 26, 2006
Las Vegas
So should i just unplug the meter, and re plug it again? or do i gotta blow some air into it or something fancy pants like hahaha...

Also found this wack ass splice... if you would even call it that.

p1630581_1.jpg

tercelica

Jul 26, 2006
Las Vegas
So I just reset the check engine light, and now i dont have any codes. just a straight blinking light now. But when i start it up, and I rev it, it sounds good up until the rpm's go down... then it just dies. I checked for codes after that happen also, but nothing came up again. is this a boost leak?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Put your finger on your IACV, then have somone turn the ignition on, do not start the car, you should feel the IACV move. If it does not, it might be stuck/need cleaning. Try that and report back. Next if that checks out, you had codes relating to the AFM. You can try fixing that pigtail, depin and using new wires, or geting an oil one and splicing it in.

If after doing those things, you will need to replace the AFM with a known working one since those are all AFM codes. I am just letting you know what it could be, try the IACV first, if you feel a click, go onto the AFM pigtail, then replace the AFM if all else fails. I know how it can be with those electronics, I hate them. You will not have any codes are clearing them since you have no driven the car. The only code that is a real time code, will appear when something is wrong and go away right when it is fixed, is code 51.

tercelica

Jul 26, 2006
Las Vegas
Roger that, I will do that probably tomorrow after work when one of my buddies is available. I've been gone from the 7m supra scene for a while, but isn't there a way to test the IACV if i pulled it out and like applied power to it, i'd be able to physically see it move? I apologize if i'm mistaken though.

On another note, before i went to they gym, i decided to pull out my intercooler piping, because i read around on here somewheres that one of the members had checked his piping after it had rained really hard, and sucked up a lot of water. Well mine had like i'd say maybe a few cups worth of water in the intercooler and the piping. So would that mean there is some water definitely in the motor. I also saw on that particular thread that the dude was told to change the oil asap which is what I did also. It says can lead up to knock, then to fubar.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Might have sucked water up through the intake which would be why you got the afm codes and it wouldnt rev. Clean it all out and make sure the wiring to the afm is good.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
DO NOT CLEAN AFM WITH CARB CLEAN OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. Failure will occur. I had my bov vented but it would only die on decel after coming off boost. I am pointing my finger at the afm. (being you said it ran great before, even with open bov)

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
If you have to clean oil out pull the sensor out and clean the aluminum housing the wipe the sensor off with a rag or lightly with soapy water I've done this plenty of times no bad sensor yet

bombinuass

Mar 20, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
MDCmotorsports;1631429 said:
Uh? KISS? (keep it simple stupid)

Check the spark plug galley for water.....

+1 i bursted a coolant line a few days ago and it filled my galley up with coolant water but it ran like SHIT. sometimes it wouldnt even run. so id also check that while your at it.

tercelica

Jul 26, 2006
Las Vegas
Yeah, didn't do anything drastic... All i did, was change the oil, which could of even been unnecessary, but like i said i just recently bought it, so it was gonna happen either way. Turned out the old intercooler that is on it has a bunch of little holes, so when i drove into some of them puddles, it sucked it all up and just filled it up. i pulled off all the IC piping, let them all sit for a day after i cleaned them out. Runs great again(its not raining at the moment). GTG!!!