Radio Shut off at high volumes

.TheJones-

Jun 24, 2010
Dayton OH
I just installed a 1000/1 JL amp and a (not worth mentioning brand name) sub. Now when the volume is turned up to 3/4's or so the radio resets itself and begins to boot back up. I saw similar postings on other forums and there appears to be a ground issue. Why would this only happen when the amp and sub are hooked up. When the amp and sub are take off I can turn the head unit all the way up. All I have come up with is a poor ground on the amp. No fuses are blowing to my knowledge no lights are affected. ( my g/f helped with that test so her data input may not be entirely reliable, i.e. lights dimming or flickering) Thanks in advance!

.TheJones-

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
While the JL 1000/1 amp isn't a huge power hungry beast like some kilowatt amps but if certain frequencies are hit for extended periods at high volume it can significantly pull the voltage down in a car system. Especially if it's not properly wired or has a weak battery or alternator. If the voltage drops below a certain level(most after-market units are around 9.5 volts) then the head unit will shut off. After the head unit shuts off the power stabilizes and it can turn back on again. A stiffening capacitor can help this situation but it's just a band aid. The Supras charging system wasn't designed for extra electronics. It doesn't have much over head. And running a 1000 watt amp, especially one of JL's quality will require a significant amount of extra power. Power the system wasn't designed to provide. This puts a tremendous load on your alternator. Even if you get a stiffening capacitor I don't think that your alternator will be long for this world running that kind of load. Also if your battery has been drained a couple of times, unless it's a deep cycle it is no longer healthy and it's ability to hold a charge is significantly reduced. This will just place even more of a strain on the alternator. My advice to you is unless you really feel you need that amp, move to something smaller. Your running a crap sub on a good amp. I would recommend running a better quality sub on a smaller good quality amp. You will be happier with the end product. But if your set on running that amp you will need to upgrade the charging system on the Supra to properly support it.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
^^^ Sounds plausible. That JL amp is a true 1000 RMS watt amp, unlike most amps which are rated at peak power. Back in the day when I worked at a car audio shop we could run our full board of subs off that amp and shake the entire building, and create a high-pressure zone in the sound room that could blow your head off :)

.TheJones-

Jun 24, 2010
Dayton OH
Great information! I have another problem arise. I unistalled the amp and sub and still the shut off is occuring. Now I am thinking the wiring harness isn't bringing enough power to the unit in order for it to use the internal amplifier. I have a 2 channel but need a 4 channel. I suppose I will try that and also try the 2 channel for the sub for now. Im just not sure if this low qual 2 channel can power my sub... (eclipse 12") Could polarity play a role in the head unit shutting off?

soundwave2000

Tenshou Getsuga
Sep 30, 2007
Somerville Tn.
Sounds like may have a speaker shorting out and head unit shutting off to keep from frying. Maybe try unplugging 1 speaker at a time and see if it stops. And I would try to find a decent mono amp for your sub, maybe find an alpine mrd350 on ebay or something. Those amps where suprisingly great for there small size and price range.

.TheJones-

Jun 24, 2010
Dayton OH
Blah new solution! New optima red top new alternator and a professional install. The jackass I bought this car off of installed this head unit himself. As I pulled the unit out of the bracket it grounded itself out on exposed power wires. So Im going with a new headd unit as well... Haven't decided on model but Im pretty sure it will be a pioneer. I've always had great luck with those.