radio interchangeability and steering wheel

jgcable

Jul 26, 2008
Milford, CT
I am working on gathering parts for my sons 1987 Supra after the robbery and we want to put a factory AM/FM Cassette/CD in it. What years are interchangeable with a 1987 and do I need a new wiring harness.

Also... since we have to replace the dash, we want to replace the steering wheel since it is in rough shape anyway. The car has cruise control so I would prefer a wheel that has cruise on it. I can adapt the existing wires to the new steering wheel cruise buttons but I was wondering what wheel you guys suggest. I would like to stick to a Toyota wheel.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
In 87 they changed the radio harness to match all other Toyota's harnesses, so pretty much anything from the same era and after will fit and plug in.

As for steering wheels, it'd be alot easier to swap in 90+ stalks and the wiring, and then get anything 90+ if you want your cruise to work.

Jeff Lange did a write-up about putting an 89 steering wheel on pre 89's and having all functions. It's in the tech section I believe, just look around all the sections, it's stickied if I recall correctly.

Suprizim TT

Apr 26, 2008
Los Angeles
RazoE;1212551 said:
In 87 they changed the radio harness to match all other Toyota's harnesses, so pretty much anything from the same era and after will fit and plug in.

As for steering wheels, it'd be alot easier to swap in 90+ stalks and the wiring, and then get anything 90+ if you want your cruise to work.

Jeff Lange did a write-up about putting an 89 steering wheel on pre 89's and having all functions. It's in the tech section I believe, just look around all the sections, it's stickied if I recall correctly.

What he said......

OkieRA29

Oct 22, 2008
Oklahoma City
If you have an 87, and aren't concerned with adding an airbag, look for any 86 to 91ish Celica GTS. Most of the GTS interior is directly swappable with the supra. I cleaned one out at the local junkyard. Here is the celica steering wheel in my 87 supra.

p1212598_1.jpg

I have no airbag, but the car originally had no airbag. The cruise controls just plugged right in and work fine. The wheel looks like it belongs there except for the Celica GTS script in the steering wheel center. Seats, door lock bezels, door handles a bunch of stuff can swap over. I also got the stock cassette stereo out of the GTS as well. It will bolt right in after I fix the harness from the P O's hack job.