Radiator..

FranklinWaters

Lurker, with BIG PLANS!
Mar 1, 2008
Louisville, KY
I have done some searching and i found info on the Koyo Radiator. I am looking at one from a2motorsports and 935motorsports. I am going with a Koyo radiator because it fits my budget. I was thinking the one with the metal ends is first choice right now.

1) Will the stock fan shroud and everything fit with the Koyo radiator?
2) Does it fit like the stock radiator?
3) Is it easy to install?

First one: (a2motorsports) Has metal ends
http://www.a2motorsports.net/koyo-stock-replacement-radiator.html
Second one: (935Motorsports) Has plastic ends like stock
koyomk3oem Koyo OEM Radiator MA70 Supra
http://www.935motorsports.com/

My car is a stock 7M-GTE/5 spd.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Personally I would go with dual electric fans like the Flex a Lite set up. You can
run them off of a thermal switch. Saves some clutter and I believe you gain
a few HP.
If it's made for the car it should fit right in, I have a Fluid Dyne and that fit
great.
Took about 2 hrs to install, unhook the hoses, drain the fluid, unbolt & lift
out the old & put in the new. If you should end up going with the fans you
could get an upper radiator hard pipe from Supra Sport to complete the
"Look"

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
SWD Fredester 3;1102321 said:
Personally I would go with dual electric fans like the Flex a Lite set up. You can
run them off of a thermal switch. Saves some clutter and I believe you gain
a few HP.

Now you've done it...

It's about to rain cry-babys who couldn't get their electric fans right. Every time this comes up the same thing happens.

I love my dual electrics. As long as you chose fans that pull enough air and wire them up thermostatically...your groovin'. Also, you have to use big wire (10 gauge is good) and relays. People who have had problems usually missed one or more of the above.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
suprabad;1102366 said:

Now you've done it...

It's about to rain cry-babys who couldn't get their electric fans right. Every time this comes up the same thing happens.

I love my dual electrics. As long as you chose fans that pull enough air and wire them up thermostatically...your groovin'. Also, you have to use big wire (10 gauge is good) and relays. People who have had problems usually missed one or more of the above.
Yea, I love mine too. Didn't realize that I might be opening up a new can of
rain on this one!

paul0075

Apr 6, 2008
New Jersey
FranklinWaters;1102231 said:
I have done some searching and i found info on the Koyo Radiator. I am looking at one from a2motorsports and 935motorsports. I am going with a Koyo radiator because it fits my budget. I was thinking the one with the metal ends is first choice right now.

1) Will the stock fan shroud and everything fit with the Koyo radiator?
2) Does it fit like the stock radiator?
3) Is it easy to install?

First one: (a2motorsports) Has metal ends
http://www.a2motorsports.net/koyo-stock-replacement-radiator.html
Second one: (935Motorsports) Has plastic ends like stock
koyomk3oem Koyo OEM Radiator MA70 Supra
http://www.935motorsports.com/

My car is a stock 7M-GTE/5 spd.

Actually, I am also looking at the Koyo OEM Radiator MA70 Supra at www.935motorsports.com
It's a reasonable price and I'm looking to keep the car stock...
Anyone ever used those? Feedbacks appreciated :)

Tae361

Jul 15, 2008
NY
I was considering purchasing one as well 21yr old radiator bound to fail soon, plus its not purdy!

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I've got a Koyo JZA70 Aluminum rad and I'm plenty happy.... of course I've only got a lowly N/A.

FranklinWaters

Lurker, with BIG PLANS!
Mar 1, 2008
Louisville, KY
paul0075;1102447 said:
Actually, I am also looking at the Koyo OEM Radiator MA70 Supra at www.935motorsports.com
It's a reasonable price and I'm looking to keep the car stock...
Anyone ever used those? Feedbacks appreciated :)

Yeah my car is stock and it is going to stay that way until I get a good job or out of college. My stock radiator has a small hole in it that's why I am looking it to getting the Koyo with metal ends.

edit: My car is an 87 if that matters.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
If you're on a budget, WHY are you even looking at electric fans when they offer zero advantage over the stock clutch fan?

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Dual electric fans may free up a few ponies, but can one make them cool better than the stock hydrofan?

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Poodles;1102583 said:
If you're on a budget, WHY are you even looking at electric fans when they offer zero advantage over the stock clutch fan?

Better question, would he be putting in a racing aluminum radiator on a budget instead of a stock replacement?

I forget what old tymer here posted but they said the stock cooling is perfectly fine on these cars....

juan jz

Mar 21, 2008
Anaheim
I'm running a full aluminum koyo on my 1J, with fan clutch, it works awsome and keeps the temperature down, I would recomend go with fan clutch with a fan shroud to direct the air, the horse power gains are not that high with electrics and there's always something that goes wrong with electrics.

FranklinWaters

Lurker, with BIG PLANS!
Mar 1, 2008
Louisville, KY
I don't want to get any electric fan system and that radiator from a2motorsports is a stock replacement but with metal ends. I thought the one with metal ends would be stronger then the stock one with plastic ends.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
FranklinWaters;1103105 said:
the stock one with plastic ends.

A stocker with plastic ends? Mine was entirely metal, did Toyota change them at some point?

Just a reminder, the stock Toyota radiator is rebuildable. ;)

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
My '88 has a plastic topcap and sides, and I presume it's a stock unit.

While we're on the subject of radiators, has anyone used or know anything about CSF radiators? It's an all-metal radiator I'm considering along with a Koyo OEM replacement. The money is about the same, but the CSF is all metal and the Koyo has plastic.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I wonder if Toyota was sourcing them from a couple different places. I've just about only ever seen all metal units around here. I'm not entirely sure I've ever seen one with plastic tanks, at least not any of the one's I've looked closely at.

EDIT:
There's really nothing wrong with plastic tanks either. It's a pretty safe bet that if you've even seen them fail they were either in an impact or they were as old as hell... either of which will finish off an all metal rad as well.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
isnms;1103141 said:
I have the CSF 2200, all metal (brass & copper), OEM fit.
My original, on a 91, had plastic ends.

So how do you like the 2200? Do a good job of keeping temps stable in hot weather? I'm trying to decide whether to to with that one or the Koyo.