Radiator question

Schmutzler

Jun 1, 2005
TN
I have a radiator that is leaking at the top. It appears as if it's leaking where the cap is on the top. Not the cap that you open to fill it, but the whole cap that goes the width of the radiator. It's just barely too hard to get to from the front of the car. I'm wondering how difficult it is, and how much time is involved in removing the radiator to patch this leak?

Or, if some Stopleak type stuff is ok or would work for this problem. It's a slow but persistent drip of coolant.

glntom

Apr 13, 2005
Glenwood, AR
I took the easy way out and bought an CSF replacement, just pulled my stocker(leaking in top tank) and chunked it., I drove 390 miles across texas (94+degrees) and back 2 weeks ago running 75+mph with a/c, never got over 1/3 on temp gauge :icon_bigg

1989MKIII

Jun 28, 2005
Troy, Missouri
www.elite-forums.com
yeah i just got my car running from a leaky radiator, and i got a koyo, and it never once got hot, im really happy, so fare on my way home, i killed 2 civics and a old school turbo eclipse. so im happy :icon_bigg ....

Schmutzler

Jun 1, 2005
TN
That's all well and good with aftermarket replacements, but is it a pain to remove the stock radiator to repair it? That's probably what I'll do since there's nothing else wrong with it for now.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
no. drain the coolant, pull the two thick hoses off (feed and return) and the little one going to the resivour. pull out the bolts holding the obvious retainers right on the top of the radiator, and then it just pulls straight up.

disconnect the A/C fans too.

its much easier if you remove the main fan as well...

estimated time to remove - less than an hour for someone who's not familiar with it.

i get mine out in about 20 minutes working at my normal pace.

-shaeff

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
shaeff said:
i get mine out in about 20 minutes working at my normal pace.

-shaeff
Agreed. The only thing that is even vaguely difficult is the 4 nuts holding on the clutch fan. Everything else is really basic.

I'll second the option to just buy another rad - the stock units have composite top and bottom sections, and IMHO they are getting too old to be reliable now. I patched mine, it sprung another leak in a different spot, I patched that, then the entire top split from one side to the other. I patched the whole thing with JB Weld and it held for the week or so that it took to get a new rad ordered in.

Schmutzler

Jun 1, 2005
TN
Thanks for the info, Shaeff and Grim. I think I'll try to patch this first, if it keeps leaking, I'll get a Fluidyne, PWR, or Griffin. Any recommendations or preferences?

Schmutzler

Jun 1, 2005
TN
PWR's website lists the radiator for the MK3 at $840. Is this correct, or is that Australian currency or something. That seems like an astronomical amount to pay for a radiator.

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
do a search and you could find a lot of places sell a performance rad. well it is a little bit better than the stock.

if you got the cash go a head and purchase one of the few name brand rads. all these member is naming.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Thats crazy money for the average guy who needs a radiator. I have found you can buy a replacement radiator that drops right it but isnt plastic (composite) for around $200-$250 dollars all day long that works better and is more durable then that stock pos. BE WARNED!!! I patched my last broken one while I hemmed and hawed and "decided what to do" and my heel dragging cost me a blown head gasket and I bet I'm not the only person that ever shot himself in the foot this way. As you may or may not know these cars are very suceptible to a BHG! Don't put yourself through this unnecessary expense and hassle...GO BUY A NEW RADIATOR...DO IT NOW!
Peace Out

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
suprana1990 said:
do a search and you could find a lot of places sell a performance rad. well it is a little bit better than the stock.

if you got the cash go a head and purchase one of the few name brand rads. all these member is naming.

And if you don't have the cash now, you can get a OEM style replacement off internet(w/free shipping) for $120. Make sure you flush the block real good, and use new coolant, cap, hoses, clamps, and thermostat.

Schmutzler

Jun 1, 2005
TN
Ok, some of you were right. I patched the radiator, and it's leaking somewhere else now. Oh well, so I'm looking into maybe getting a OEM replacement. I've seen some offers of limited lifetime warranties. Can I get some guidance? What's a good online store? Is there a catch to the lifetime warranty?

Thanks.

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
I just bought the ebay koyo radiator. It was $142 shipped which isn't bad considering toyota wanted like $390 for a stocker haha. The koyo looks EXACTLY like the stock one. I haven't put it in yet (still waiting on my new turbo) but it seems to be pretty nice for the price.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
I don't think you can fix the radiator.
The top is plastic. How do you plan on patching it? I guess you can slap some epoxy over it.

I think its better to get an aftermarket one. The aftermarket ones perform much better than the stock one. The plastic tanks act as an insulator, where as the metal tanks transfer heat out better. The aftermarket ones are usually thicker and have more cooling surface area.

Don't forget to get a new cap too. The caps should be replaced every so often. They have caused a lot of overheating problems with owners.