Radiator "Popped" on Auto Supra, Does Auto need cooler?

TomFraser

My automatic radiator has a giant crack in the top (happened at about 80mph on the highway, had to use windshield wipers after it cracked there was so much steam and coolant).

I have a 5 speed radiator sitting in my basement, can I put a hose on the cooling lines for the tranny, bypassing a cooling system, for about a month while I decided if I need a new auto radiator, or a 5 speed transmission? Or will this cause excessive damage?

I've read threads saying you cannot, but I'm wondering if anyone has done it as a temporary solution, as I would be.

Thanks ahead of time for any replies.

TomFraser

Poodles;1495940 said:
Also, figure out why the radiator popped...

Because it was old, it was bound to happen, the top was not black anymore, but a brownish yellowish color.

The cooling system is the last real system that I need to completely redo. The last owner had a new waterpump installed and all new hoses, but no radiator change.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I'd still be cautious.

Also, a true tranny cooler is much better than the radiator mounted one and one of the best things you can do to increase the longevity of an auto tranny. Heat is what kills em.

TomFraser

Poodles;1495949 said:
I'd still be cautious.

What would cause this issue, I just replaced the thermostat and radiator cap (cap is stock pressure).

Other than that I haven't really played around with anything that would affect the radiator (that I know of, in my relatively small knowledge of cars)

What should I check?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The thing to be afraid of is too much pressure in the system, and the radiator being the weak link.

Too much pressure is caused by the engine running too hot, or the head gasket being toast and cylinder combustion being forced into the cooling jacket.

It's easy to check... a block test, or a compression check, should give you peace of mind.