radiator hose problem

mjmendoza

May 7, 2007
San Jose
Last week i was driving and i notcied that my temp gauge was at H. When i got home i checked under my hood and saw that my radiator hose was FLAT. it wasnt a circular shape. I flushed my radator and changed both top and bottom radiator hose's. But for some reason my top radiator hose seems to still get flat but it then goes back to a circular shape after you let go of the throttle. any ideas of the problem?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
mjmendoza;964138 said:
Last week i was driving and i notcied that my temp gauge was at H. When i got home i checked under my hood and saw that my radiator hose was FLAT. it wasnt a circular shape. I flushed my radator and changed both top and bottom radiator hose's. But for some reason my top radiator hose seems to still get flat but it then goes back to a circular shape after you let go of the throttle. any ideas of the problem?

Did you change the thermostat?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Sounds like a stuck thermostat to me...if you replace it, cut the jiggle valve off.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Bottom pic:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=CO&P=8

It's an old school technique that allows a small amount of coolant flow through the thermostat at all times. It does delay warm-up a very slight amount of time, but prevents pressure form holding a weak thermostat closed. It will also expel air from the system to the radiator faster...no more "burping".

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If you get a new thermostat, either use Toyota or a Stant SuperStat rated at 190 deg F. You'll also need a new rubber gasket that goes around the outside edge.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Actually the same thing (passing air), but the valve limits coolant flow to achieve warm-up faster. I discovered some time ago it limits flow a bit too much and taking it off has a lot more positive vs a negative effect.

jpeek29208

Boostin Daily
Apr 4, 2005
Enterprise, Al
yah def. go with a toyota thermo though. I went through so many at autozone before i just went and got a toyota one. I've been great ever since.