Radiator flush at thispoint

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
So the hose right under the thermostat housing broke and all my coolant gushed out. I used lots of plain water to get it home until my replacement hoses came in from Toyota.

Now that I got all new coolant hoses to replace, (6 total) how's the best way to finish flush out the old green stuff for fresh Toyota Red coolant?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
i wouldnt put the red stuff in if youve got the green. Ive read that apparently the toyota redstuff tends to gum up when mixed with the green and its not likely youl be able to get all the green out. Again, this is what ive learned from the mr2 boards and im not entirely sure how accurate it is

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Pull the block drain bolt, leave lower hose off the radiator, pull the t.stat. Stuff a water hose where the t.stat. would normally reside, and turn it on full. Let it run until it runs clear out of the drain bolt hole and water pump. Turn the water off, pull the hose out of the t.stat's place of residence, and stick it in the radiator where the upper hose goes. Turn the water on full again, and let run until it comes out of the bottom clean. Now, at the most, you have water and whatever built-up crud that was already in the block, in there. If there is a lot of brown crap coming out of the block, or the drain plug hole is so plugged up it won't drain, you should still run the hose in there until you get clean water out, put it all back together, and drop in a bottle of Prestone coolant system flush, and fill with straight water. Read the directions for how long to leave it in there. After the flush has been in there the correct amount of running time, Flush again with the hose, same as before. Let all the water drain out, button it all back up, and fill with 1/2 water, 1/2 coolant.

There, now you have an idea of how to flush the coolant system. Prestone also makes a coolant that will mix with either red or green. Use it, and don't worry about it. You can buy it premixed as well.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Just get a thing of the prestone flush stuff.

It tells you what to do. I didn't remove my block drain bolt because as long as the flush stuff runs through the system while the thermostat is open, it'll all get cleared out.

I ran mine once with the flush stuff, then again just with hose water. Then I refilled with the toyota red.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
The first flush with water is to get all the loose sediments, rust, and "bars leak" out. Running the system with the Prestone flush treatment will work more effectively at removing the harder, built up deposits this way. I've done vehicles without removing the block drain plug, it just takes longer. Oh yeah, when you drain the coolant the first time, you need to contain it, and dispose of it properly.

The "best" way to flush the cooling system would be to take it to a shop with a flush machine. Should only cost $50 or so, and take around 15 to 20 minutes.

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
supramacist;903493 said:
Distilled water fellas.
Tap water has a ph that causes rust.
Distilled is more neutral.

I bought 3 gallons of distilled for mixing with the Red coolant. Should I be using the distilled for all the flushing also??

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Dont flush with distilled water, thats a little too expencive...

Most people dont even use distilled water anyways so youre doing good just by using it.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
st2b;903678 said:
From what I remember the red is pre-mixed

So no need for additives

The red is all coolant and needs to be mixed with water. At least every bottle I've seen.

Although they probably make a pre-mixed solution, too. I've just never come across it at the dealer.

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
suprarx7nut;903739 said:
The red is all coolant and needs to be mixed with water. At least every bottle I've seen.

Although they probably make a pre-mixed solution, too. I've just never come across it at the dealer.

they sell it, but it's the same price (or maybe a couple dollars cheaper) than the full strength stuff.

st2b

Banned
Sep 15, 2006
Versailles (Lex) Ky
www.myspace.com
suprarx7nut;903739 said:

I'm using the red pre-mixed dexcool stuff with zero problems. I'm staying more than cool.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Flush with the hose as stated by Cuel.
When you cork her up and refill...., refill with the 50/50 mix of dist water and coolant.

If you buy the 50/50 mix it's distilled water.
It's less expensive and goes further to get the full strength.

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
Hello all,

So I have the following parts lined up for this job now:

- New thermostat & gasket
- All new coolant hoses
- Toyota red coolant (non-mixed)
- BG Coolant flush
- Distilled water

Reading the TRSM I'm stumped on Instruction #4 Anyone got a pic to show where that is? I'm flushing the coolant in my 7M Cressida though and not the Supra turbo.

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
He's talking about the hose that comes out the top of the heater union (not pictured in his diagram). There is an arrow in that diagram labeled "To Heater". That's where the hose is. You want to disconnect it at the other end. Here's a diagram of the hose: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=8716&P=1
It's #87245A

The main idea is to find a high point in the cooling system where the water has to follow the longest and most complicated path to get out the bottom of the radiator... so it will flush the most passages.

I've been in contact with the cygnusx1.net webmaster and he's updated that step to clarify the hose in question.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited: