Radiator fan is not turning on...

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
So I just got new tires put on and on the way back I see that my temp gauge is leaning towards the hot side. I pop my hood open and see that the fan isnt on which is set to turn on when the engine reaches 185 degrees. Anyways, I bought a new fan and it still isnt working. The motor from the fan turns on but it doesnt spin. Im thinking that either the wire connecting to the ground isnt working or the wire connecting to the relay isnt working or maybe even the water pump from what ive heard. Any input on this would be appreciated. Thanks guys

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
Its just the stock fan called TorqFlo and on the box it says electric powertrain cooling fan. Im not sure how big the fuse is. And the way it works is one wire goes to the ground and the other runs up to the relay which isnt connected to anything else. Other wires are connected to it like the thermostat wire. Sorry, i dont really know much about how the wiring works so i cant really describe everything as well as i can.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
jetjock;1840644 said:
I r cornfused...

Yeah... You and me both.

TorqFlo is an aftermarket manufacturer, so the fan is not stock. This being the 7M-GTE subforum a mechanical clutch fan would be stock.

And with it not being stock, we would need more info about your unique setup to be able to give you advice. Some pics would help in this.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
This is what the factory setup looks like:

CO_006.gif

Supras do not use electric fans for primary cooling in the stock setup.

There are small electric fans to help boost cooling when the A/C is on:

AC_008.gif

If the fans worked on the way to the tire shop and now they don't work, there's a good probability that the tire guys broke a wire...

Or not... There is such thing as coincidence, and it happens all the time.

You'll have to start tracing the circuit.

Your average aftermarket fan setup is wired like this:

4626d1086679439-does-wiring-diagram-my-electric-fan-look-ok-wiring.jpg

Start tracing wires and see where they go.

or

Maple191;1840714 said:
just put in a stock clutch fan promblem solved

That would work too. Better for your engine in the long run as well - the mechanical fans are generally superior to electrics.

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
thanks for the help guys. I know it sounds really confusing but I guess it is an aftermarket set up. I replaced the relay today because I have heard they stop working sometimes when it gets hot outside. Of course, I live in Florida and its hot as hell right now so I changed it and the fan is now working. thanks again