radiator broke?

guspeed

May 25, 2006
WA
Hi,

I was driving and I see steam coming out of the engine. I opened the hood and the upper radiator hose, where it connects to the radiator, a chunk of the radiator broke off. How is this possible? How is it for a piece of the radiator just break off?

I mean the radiator where the upper radiator hose connect to broke off.

JAWS

Apr 12, 2006
Aurora, CO
The radiator tanks are plastic!
That means the ends of the radiator, which is where the hoses connect.
Plastic tanks work fine, but when a car is overheated the plastic becomes brittle.
A good radiator shop should be able to clean your core and replace the damaged plastic tanks. I think I paid about $50 to have mine fixed when a crack developed in one of the tanks which happened about a year after I'd fixed my BHG.

guspeed

May 25, 2006
WA
ok so i bought a new radiator and put it in. I flushed the system again, and now I'm running tap water from the garden hose with NO thermostat to see what happen. I plan on flushing it a few more times then putting back on the thermostat.

Does this sound okay or correct? Is it okay to run with tap water for a few days and flush it out and run coolant and disstill water?

thanks.

JAWS

Apr 12, 2006
Aurora, CO
Not much harm will be done in a few days. You should only use distilled water in your cooling system(along with coolant!).
Distilled water is also the only thing you should use to top up your battery, unless it's sealed.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Repair/replace radiator

Flush cooling system

refill with either premix coolant or distilled water and coolant concentrate

Burp cooling system

check it daily for a week or so and top up as needed with coolant.

koulee

Oct 11, 2005
Yes thats cause there is pressurized and heated coolant building up inside of it. It will balloon up, and if its in poor condition it will pop.

When the car completely cools off you can tap that upper radiator hose and listen to it. If you can hear water whoosing around, you got air bubbles trapped inside of it.