Radiator anode to prevent rust. Any good?

garrettrowe

It's a good idea to at least ground your radiator well. You should also be changing your fluid on the specified schedule and using only distilled water to avoid the coolant acidity and resulting Electrolytic Metal Erosion that the zinc rod would be there to prevent...

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Wanted to bring this back up. Been reading about using a scrificial anode in the cooling system to prevent galvanic corrosion of alluminum radiators and such. Wondering if anyone has used it or has any opinions? I have a new Koyo aluminum radiator (properly insulated from ground) with Zerex GO5 coolant just flushed. I should be pretty safe if i keep my maint. up correct? Is an anode like this really needed as long as the coolant is changed at the proper intervals? I dont want my brand new Koyo turning into swiss cheese anytime soon though.

Also, could this be a good idea to help preserve the life of our heater cores?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Those things have been around since before I was born. So has Whitney for that matter and they're still selling mostly junk.

These things come from the marine industry where the cooling system is open loop. The science is sound but they don't do a whole lot in a closed system that employs anti-corrosion inhibitors in the coolant useless things get really bad and why would anyone let their system go that far in the first place?

Besides, a zinc anode is for protecting iron. Not exactly your typical radiator/heater core material. And show me where OEMs use them. CyFi6 has the right idea: invest your money in proper cooling system maintenance, not gimmicks...