Rack and pinion?

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
mine's kinda in rough shape (one of the boots fell off it and oil is everywhere possible power steering leak outta some where too) and i was on TSRM lookin at how to dissasemble one...it was kinda vague and im not sure how to do it..is it difficult to replace? any common nightmares with switching an R&P?

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
It is definitely not easy. in fact there is nothing easy about it.
If your going to do it yourself get a new or rebuilt unit (rebuilding these units is something re-builders, often mess up. ie leak right away or soon after install). your going to want a warranty so buy local.
Getting the steering wheel to be centered when done can be tricky and take a few trys (to get it on the correct spline, at the rack input). In the end you still need an alignment
The new rack often comes with new inner tie rods, so you might as well get new outers to top off the steering.

PS Just getting the damn thing out of the car, with the motor in, is a real blank

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
ahh thats what i feared. im gunna be ordering a rebuilt one from napa. Maybe ill see what the local shop will charge in labor if i decide not to do it. this thing needs it badddd