rack and pinion questions..

zambini

Jan 16, 2008
Detroit, MI
hello all

im about to swap a new engine into my 90 turbo, and the front rack is right there, completely exposed. its eating at me knowing i need to replace it, and i cant think of a better time to do so...

my questions are:

would a pre89 rack and pinion BOLT UP to my car? it doesnt matter if it has progressive power steering or not, because im not going to be running it. (i plan to loop the lines with a remote reservoir.)

would any non turbo model rack bolt up to my car? again, it deosnt matter if it would have pps, as i wont be utilizing that feature.. all i need to know is basically if all mkiii rack and pinion assemblies are interchangeable as far as bracketing and bolt patterns and sizes/lengths are concerned.

any help would be awesome.

thanks

aaron

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Not all have progressive power steering, and the pre-89's have dampeners on the rack.

Other than that, they all will bolt in, but why would you not use power steering?

jizake1jz

FTMFW
Feb 18, 2007
Lake Zurich, IL
at least this is somewhat recent...

anyways, i'm somewhat interested in removing my power steering as well. were there any mkiii's that came without power steering. i don't know much about the steering system since i haven't messed around with it yet, so i don't know if there is something i can replace and have actual parts designed without power steering.

i know most people will ask why, but to each his own, and i would rather just not have it. so just wondering if anyone has any info on this subject. now back to searching for more info...